PDA

View Full Version : Jean and other ER+/PR-

RhondaH
05-10-2006, 08:52 AM
The following will be presented at ASCO on 6/4/06

"
ER+ PR- breast cancer defines a unique subtype of breast cancer that is driven by growth factor signaling and may be more likely to respond to EGFR targeted therapies.

Abstract No: 514"

Rhonda

Jax
05-10-2006, 04:27 PM
What is EGFR stand for?? I am ER+ 55% and PR- 2% and her2neu 2+

DCIS noninvasive
tumor 1/2 centimeter
grade 3
premenopausal

Thx,
Jax

Jean
05-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Hi Rhonda,
Sent you a message!

Hugs,
Jean

RhondaH
05-11-2006, 07:28 AM
Here is a definition I found:

"EGFR (Epidermal Growth Factor Receptors) is a family of receptors that comprises EGFR itself as well as Her 2, Her 3 and Her 4, and their cognate ligands. When this receptor system experiences aberrant signaling, a malignant cell grows, fails to apoptose, auto-stimulates and undergoes angiogenesis. Inhibiting the phosphorylation of EGFR and HER2 inhibits tumor growth and may provide excellent cancer therapy."

Take care and God bless

Rhonda

SaraD
05-15-2006, 08:39 PM
epidermal growth factor receptor is not routinely tested in breast cancer.

Her2 is a type of epidermal growth factor receptor, but when they say EGFR they mean Her1, which is a close relative of HER2.

EGFR CAN be tested, and from my reading the initial studies in lung cancers using EGFR inhibitors showed that it didn't matter whether the tumor was positive for EGFR or not.

this is confusing to me, but it seems to suggest that testing for EGFR is not useful in breast cancer. i can't find any studies that say whether this is true or not.

i know that many of the EGFR targeted therapies like tarceva, etc. don't require the tumor to be EGFR +.

that's my two cents! Sara