PDA

View Full Version : Gemzar + 5FU

Stephanie
05-09-2006, 05:55 PM
I post periodically regarding my mom, who is HER2+++ with lung mets and pleural effusion. She has failed a variety of chemos and hormonal therapies, and we're starting new chemos next week.

I can't find any information regarding the new chemo combination her onc is putting her on, and was wondering if anyone here has been on it. She'll be starting Gemzar/Leucovorin/Taxotere/5-FU.

I've read about Gemzar/Leucovorin/Taxotere, but I can't find anything on 5-FU being in the mix. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Stephanie
daughter of Marie

juanita
05-10-2006, 04:46 AM
I had 5-fu but not with those other drugs. I'm pretty computer illeterate and can't copy the peper from the onc, so I'll type part of it in. It is called fluorouracil. It stops cell growth and division in a variety of cancers. Side effects nausea (mine was really mild, no worse than my morning sickness was years ago), possible hair loss (didn't affect me), low white counts, moputh sores, diareehea, skin rash or darkened skin if exposed to excess sun, nail bed changes, loss of appetite (I wish I'd had that one). It can also cause menopause. Hope this helps!

al from Canada
05-10-2006, 08:26 AM
Dear Stephanie,
I would question why 5FU when one could take Xeloda and achieve the same without the systemic effects. Note that xeloda is changed into 5FU by a protein found only in tumours therefore all the 5FU theoretically stays in the tumor. There was some buzz in San Antonio about Gemzar and carbo. I have included a link to the study below.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22109

Regards,
Al

Stephanie
05-10-2006, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the replies. My mom unfortunately had a severe anaphylactic reaction to carboplatin when she took it with Taxol/Herceptin. She's had the 5-FU before with her very first chemo combo of A/C.

I didn't realize that Xeloda converted into 5-FU--I will bring that up with the onc. We'll be going for a second opinion, which we always do when she switches chemos anyhow. This particular combo is making me nervous b/c I can't find any info on Gemzar being combined with 5-FU. All I find are studies comparing the two to eachother.