PDA

View Full Version : chemo break is ending

lu ann
05-06-2006, 07:57 PM
I got the results of my CT. Scan from my doc. yesterday. Things still look stable with the exception of an enlarged lymph node in my chest so I will be going on Xeloda in the next few weeks. I need to find out how much my insurance co. will cover. I have Anthem Blue Access (PPO) in Ohio.

I feel very fortunate to have been on such a lengthy break. My last chemo was Dec. 19. 05. In the last 24 months I have been on some type of treatment for 14 months, with the remaining 10 months just getting zometa for the bone mets. I'm not looking forward to another chemo, but I know that unless I go into remission this is what I'm going to have to do.

My nurse went over the drill at length with us yesterday and could not emphisize enough about when to notify her about side effects. She wants to know immediately when my hands and/or feet turn red.

How have you who are on this medication done? Did you have good results? Thanks for any info you can give me.

Love and Blessings, Lu Ann.

Lisa
05-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Sorry to hear about your return. Do keep your hands and feet moisturized and take at least one B6 with each dosage. My hands/feet vary from very red to almost normal. Good luck.

Love and light,

Lisa

Becky
05-07-2006, 09:58 AM
Lu Ann

Sorry about your enlarged lymph node. Lolly is on vacation right now but she took Xeloda for quite a long time and it got rid of her pesky lymph node many times over. (I think she was on it twice or maybe 3 times in 9 yrs). You should email her in a week or two as she has experience with the drug for this specific reason.

I am sure others will respond as well. I never took Xeloda.

I will keep you in my thoughts.

Kindest regards,

Becky

Sheila
05-07-2006, 12:50 PM
LuAnn
I am on Xeloda right now for enlarged lymph nodes in the collarbone, along with Herceptin which maintained them for 2 1/2 years, but when they started to enlarge, I went on Xeloda. I have had 2 cycles, the first cycle I was tired, but the last was OK...I drink alot of water...seem to be thirsty all the time. My only problem is the cracking and peeling of skin on my hands and my legs seem to ache a little, other than that, it seems easy to take. I am on 1500 mg in the morning and 1000 at night, 2 weeks on and 1 week off, then a blood test and if everything in the CBC looks good, back on it. I do use lotion constantly on the feet and hands.
Hope this helps, I saw shrinkage of the lymph node of about 75% with just the first cycle, so that is good! I am still taking the Herceptin every 3 weeks also.

lu ann
05-07-2006, 10:23 PM
Hi and thanks for your posts.

I got good news from the pharmacy. My xeloda will cost me 30.00 per cycle. If I mail order, it will be 3 cycles for the price of 2. I am starting out with 2000mg, 2x daily. I'm big boned! LOL! They will adjust to a lower dose if needed.

Doc says were not in an emergency yet so I can delay treatment for a couple weeks.

We are traveling 2 1/2 hours south to Columbus Friday to see Pastor Joel Osteen. I have 2-3 extra tickets if anyone is interested in meeting me there. My treat. He has a wonderful Ministry, you won't be disappointed. He is such a positive influence.

My husband and I are seeing the Cleveland Indians the following Friday. Maybe I'll wash down a hot dog with a brewski or two!

My daughter Carly graduates from Medical Assistant School on June 9th which will be during my off week if I start treatment on May 22.

Life can be good, even during stage 4 breast cancer.

Thankyou and God Bless You
Lu Ann

kk1
05-08-2006, 08:54 AM
Hi Lu Ann;

you might want to question your doctor more carefully about taking 4,000 mg/day of xeloda. While the original research was for 4,000/day they are since found that most people have difficulty tolerating that dose. It is now reccommended that you use no more than 3,000. I am big boned (weighed 190lbs) and 3,000 is as high as I could go without very severe hand/foot.
Even the manufacturer now warns Onc's of this and has been sending around a notice to Dr. that the 3,000 works just as well but less side effects.

lol
kk1

Sheila
05-08-2006, 12:45 PM
LuAnn

Just a reminder, your counts will be at their lowest during your OFF week of Xeloda....so that may be the week you are most tired....I was hoping to be able to juggle mine around as my daughter graduates from nursing the 20th of May, then I go to Florida the 8th of June, and plan on having a few cocktails when I'm there, then the 24th of June I have my daughters wedding....but the Dr said no adjustments, it is working fabulously right now, and you can drink while on it, within reason....I started on 2500 mg a day, 1500 in am and 1000 in pm and it is doing a great job...I weigh 150#.