PDA

View Full Version : Radiation Effect on Implants

Jax
05-02-2006, 05:19 AM
HI,

I was wondering if anyone knows what the effects of getting radiation treatments on breast implants. Before I got DCIS, I had and still have breast implants as I had my breast augmented 7 years ago. I had my lumpectomy procedure on 4/17/06 with my implant in place and the surgeon did not have any problem with the lumpectomy with my implant in place...so anyway...now I'm wondering how is my implanted breast going to look AFTER all my rad treatments????

The Rad doc said the tissue around the implant will get harder and it may also shrink alittle...yikes. Also, he said some women really have no problem with having implants and rads. I just wonder since I've had mine for 7 years now (saline filled), that the rads will eventually "weaken" the implant and it will rupture sooner than I think which means I'd have to have another surgery to replace them and then the doc said that the Plastic Surgeon may have a harder time replacing the implant 'cuz the skin doesn't heal as well after rads. I wanted to consult with a qualified Plastic Surgeon about the rad aftereffects but thought I'd ask you guys first!!

Please let me know about this if you guys have any experience with this issue or know anyone who has.

Thanks so much,

Jax in FL

Jackie
05-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Jax in Fl,

I had implants as part of my reconstruction. My plastic surgeon asked me several times if I was going to have radiation. My answer was always no, not now. This was a major concern in making the decision for implants vs another form of reconstruction. He did tell me that the radiation was not a good thing for implants. Mine are silicone filled

Jax
05-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Thanks so much for the info and I guess I'm gonna find out soon!

Jax

PatS
05-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Hi Jax - I didn't have implants pre-bc but did have an expander put it in as part of my reconstruction during my mastectomy. I did have rads after my expander was fully expanded and then had it exchanged for the final implant a couple of months after completing radiation. So far I haven't had any complications. As for skin not healing well after radiation, that's probably true initially but I'm not sure how healing is effected once you're further out after completing radiation. In any case though, lots of women have successful reconstruction after radiation so if you did have to have your implants removed I would think it would be possible for it to be done successfully.

Pat

Jax
05-04-2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the info Pat! I'm glad everything went well for you with the reconstruction. I know I'm going to have to get a "re-do" once my implants decide to rupture or I just might get them replaced the older they and I get and it's good to know the PS can work with a breast that's been radiated.

Jax :)