PDA

View Full Version : Time to get the weight off

kansasrose
04-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Hello. The test results are back, and things are going to be ok. My chest ct scan, blood work and echo came back ok. I do have a lot of scar tissue from the radiation, but, I believe the culprit to the swelling in my legs is lymphedema and too much weight. The next thing I did was join Weight Watchers, with my doctor's blessing and a promise to report back in 6 months. Thank you to those of you who offered encouragement and information. So for now, I'm going to focus on taking care of the things I can, which is getting this extra weight off carefully and to build up my strength. I have two kids I want to see graduate, and I'm the only parent they have. Thank you for your encouragement.

mekasan
04-24-2006, 09:39 PM
Congrats on the positive results and on making positive changes for yourself.

One thing I recently began is using the My Pyramid program offered at http://www.mypyramidtracker.gov/Default.htm (select Assess your Food Intake). It is a bit of a chore to record everything eaten, but the program will give you reccommendations for healthier eating and provide all types of interesting information. If you only do a few days it will be enough to get an idea of what you need to change. I think it keeps me from overeating because I am either too tired to write down what I ate or very conscious about the food choices so I just decline the extra food. It also has help me regain a sense of control, lost as a result of this unpredictable disease.

A friend of mine does Weight Watcher and loves it. Good luck with everything.

Shannon (mekasan)

R.B.
04-25-2006, 02:24 AM
If you have time please look at the posts on balancing the omega threes and sixes.

Omega six is implicated in many metabolic pathways that realate to energy storage (body fat), as well as the body's inflamatory pathways etc.

Also you may like to try the local library, or the net. There are several good books looking at diet and disease including cancer.

Common elements include greens, coloured veg and fruits, beans, some grains, small amounts of nuts, lots of variety, as close to the original food source as possible, flax as a source of omega three, and some oily fish.

There are also some diet thought on this site the breast cancer diet etc.

RB