PDA

View Full Version : Port in arm & some redness?

Chelee
04-23-2006, 02:01 PM
I was against getting a port but my infusion nurse and oncologist said it will be the best thing for me. (I will admit...I did run out of veins) So I have one in my upper left arm. I have had it about two months now and it has been used quite a few times. Weekly herceptin, lab work & even a Iron Iv infusion...etc.

So lately it has been poked at quite a bit. I have noticed its been a bit sore and tender on top where they have to put the needle in the port. I am sure that is normal. But last night I noticed it is a little red right next to the port...in fact its right were the surgeon made the incision. I don't remember it being red like that before? But I don't sit and stare at it either. But I did touch it...and it IS warm to touch. Do you think it could be an infection starting...or worse yet...a blood clot? (I have just recently read up on ports and I had no idea how many people run into problems with ports.) My infusion nurse and oncologist acted like it is really rare. From all I have read its not. http://www.her2support.org./vbulletin/images/smilies/frown.gif

Just what I needed...something else to worry about. I know you will all say see my doctor...I see them tomorrow. I am praying that there is nothing wrong with it as it will mess up my weekly herceptin infusion...and i have had enough inturruption in my tx since I started it....and I can't afford many more.

If this was a blood clot...wouldn't my arm swell up? I see No swelling to speak of...just red on top...and it is really warm on top of that red spot. And again...it is sore...but it has been poked alot lately. I hope I can make it till tomorrow. I don't want to go to the hospital...they make you sit there forever. Am I worrying for nothing. Maybe all the chemo in my body is making it red? Can that happen. I notice my normal scabs or sores on body are affected after chemo...so I pray thats all this is? I am pretty new to having this port...so if anyone here that has had one a long time that might have any ideas what this is...I would appreciate it.

Becky
04-23-2006, 03:11 PM
If it is sore, red and warm you might be starting an infection. I wouldn't worry that it is a blood clot. I would call your onco and see if there is something they want you to start taking tonight - especially since you are on chemo and your white cell count can be down - thus making an infection even worse.

No reason to take a chance. They'll probably just want to see you in the morning but I would call if it was me.

Best regards

Becky