PDA

View Full Version : Timeframe for hair regrowth?

jojo
04-23-2006, 03:01 AM
Just a poll query here... So, how many months did it take for your hair grow back into a decent hairstyle (shoulder length, layer, you name it)?

Susan
04-23-2006, 04:27 AM
Hi:
I finished chemo early Sept, and by early Feb, I ditched the wig. My hair was short, and very curly. Now it's about 2 inches long, and last weekend, I had my first trim job. It's the same color, just curly, I don't know how long that lasts! It's wierd though, your hair is really sensitive when it comes in. It's like its sore. Like when I rub it against the grain, it still hurts! strange! Good Luck
Sue

DeborahNC
04-23-2006, 08:14 AM
My last chemo was Jan 19 and I'm going wigless and hatless now. My hair is only 1/2 to 1 inch long and I'm skunk color, but I just can't take the wig in 80 degree weather. My head is NOT shaped for such a short style, but it's what I was born with:-)

Maggie
04-23-2006, 08:53 AM
I finished chemo sometime in October and I could take my hat/wig off in February. sometime. It was shocking for me as it came in gray. It had been blonde! What a surprise! ;) I was told by so many what a beautiful color it was, with a few dark hairs interspersed through. Then the curls came.... I loved it! I cried when they were no more! I have kept my hair short at the request os so many people. I like it much better myself, too. Never though I'd say that. It came in very soft and fine at first, just like a baby's behind.

I though to myself, look what God is doing for me. He knows the trials we go through!

Andi
04-23-2006, 11:13 AM
I finished chemo in early December. After Christmas, we went to Arizona, I had a small amount of fuzz covering my head at that time. In early January, I started wearing caps except to church where I still put on my wig. By the last of January, I pitched the wig and just went with my new short "do". We were attending a church where they didn't know about my b/c. When I came out of church, the pastor said "I really like your hair cut, I have been telling my wife she should get it cut like that". I then told him I was coming off chemo. He said, "well, it really looks sylish". Needless to say, that was all I needed to hear, I haven't worn my wig since. As my hair continued to grow, it was very curly, much like a sheep dog. I actually went and got it cut very short, and get compliments all of the time on my hair cut. I love the low maintainance of it - no hair dryer or curling iron, just a towel and a brush.

doh2pa
04-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Hi Jojo,

First time through I pretty much lost all my hair - had my last treatment in June and by the beginning of October was wearing a short, cute, hairstyle.

This time I didn't lose it all (got very thin) - had my last treatment in mid March and hope to ditch the wig by early May.

What's funny is the first time (2 years ago) it grew in curly and this time it's poker straight! Go figure!

D.

Sandy H
04-23-2006, 12:21 PM
I have lost my hair several times. Usually, I ditch the wig when my hair is long enough to highlight and trim. It is very short but really cute and so cool. Once I did it and a fellow (80 years old)at church was shocked. He said to me on the side, "I never thought you would wear your hair that short it really changes your whole appearance!" I did not have the heart to tell him why it was so short. A lady was sitting beside me just grinned and asked me if he did not know and I told her, "guess not". And Jo Jo its what works for you so go for it. hugs, Sandy

Jackie
04-23-2006, 12:33 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_39.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZRxdm479YYUS) I finished my chemo the first of November. I had lost most of my hair during the summer when I started chemo. It did grow a little bit during my Taxotere/Herceptin. I started going topless 2 1/2 weeks ago. It is about 1 1/2" long now. I have had it trimmed once to shape it some. It has been great to go without the wig. I get lots of compliments on my hair. I have worn it short most of my adult life, just not this short.

juanita
04-23-2006, 05:42 PM
Mine came in a little darker with more streaks of gray than I had before and very, very curly. I thought if I grew it longer they would relax some, but that didn't happen, they just kinked up more. I got it cut, and as long as I keep it pretty short the curls aren't real bad, but as soon as it starts getting some length to it the curls come back.

Monique M
04-23-2006, 08:22 PM
I finished chemo on 01/27/2005 and by the end of April, I looked like I had a buzz cut (like someone in boot camp). I
stopped wearing the wig and just wore it short! I had many compliments-- even some women telling me that they wish they had the nerve to wear it so short. If they only knew! I never have a bad hair day any more and have enjoyed the new styles as it grew it. BTW-- my hair's texture came back identical-- straight in the front and some curl in the back. And the color= same as it was before.

Patricia
04-23-2006, 08:37 PM
I lost my hair around Halloween and it started to grow in January while I was still on Taxol. I finished the Taxol at the end of Feb and now am just on Herceptin. I had my 1st trim about 3 weeks ago and it is very short. As you can see from my photo I was raging redhead. My hair has come back sort of dirty blond with a little bit of red highlights. I miss the red, but I am so happy to have hair that it could have come back white and I would have been fine. I did wear a wig to work when I went back in Dec, but I never wore one outside of work. Living in San Francisco, people just thought I had an urban edge to me. A woman I met when my head was like a shiny bowling ball bald told me that. She made my day! I gave up the wig at work about a month ago. I was so happy to finally put it away. I hated the way I felt in it.

I got really inspired by a website i found when I first lost my hair. This woman gave me the courage to go out and about bald and feel proud! It was really hard for me to decide to wear a wig to work, but I decided that I didn't want anyone deciding for me what I could and could not handle. If I were to do it again, I think I would skip the wig completely.

http://www.baldisbeautiful.org/

Yorkiegirl
04-23-2006, 09:25 PM
I lost all of my hair just s my second treatment was started. I finished in August. Still by October I just had peach fuzz, and now with-in the last month I have a really short a rather cute hair style, I think I may keep it this way.

It did grow back darker and does have curl on top, but it's very workable.
I just thank heavens to no more wig I hated that thing, heck the dog's didn't even want it as toy. LOL

Vicki

This what it looks like now 8 months later. I do wear it the sides feathered out towards my face now I had it trimmed to do that. I have to bet a new picture done as this one ism't good. When my Hubby left in October to back to Kuwait I stilll was bald as an eagle. LOL

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL89/133458/9910214/141418994.jpg

jojo
04-25-2006, 05:50 PM
Thanks guys, you gave me a better idea, as my memories with the very first hair loss is hazy (3 summers ago). Off I go wig shopping...

hutchibk
04-26-2006, 10:33 AM
I am growing my hair back for the second time...

First time I wore my hats for about 5 months until I felt my hair had grown enough to go "commando"...

This time I finished chemo on Jan. 26 and my hair is growing like a weed! I am only 3 months out today and I plan to start going hatless in about 2 weeks for an event I will be attending. I think the key has been using Nioxin Follicle Booster. I am a hairdresser and have watched Nioxin work fairly well for many clients with thinning hair. I figured if it can help spur some growth on heads where there is progressive thinning, then maybe it can help me grow my hair faster and thicker (with no history of thinning before chemo). It seems to have really helped the process along. It is not very long now (about 1/2 -3/4 inch), but it is close to being where it was at 5 months the first time. It has grown in more evenly all over, which did not happen the first time.