PDA

View Full Version : Aromasin/Arimidex/Femara?

Linda in Calif
04-20-2006, 11:40 PM
Hi All: Sorry I haven't posted in awhile...long story...but I have a question....I can finally go on AI therapy but don't know which one to choose. My Onc. is giving me my choice. Is one better than another for us HER2+ people? Any info would be great. Take Care, Linda in Calif.

Becky
04-21-2006, 04:37 AM
Linda

They are pretty much all the same except - Arimidex and Femara both work by the same mechanism and are non steroidal aromatase inhibitors. Aromosin works by a different (chemical reaction) than the other 2 and is a steroidal AI. Therefore, let's say you try Arimidex and it gives you lots of side effects, then you should try Aromosin next because it is different.

Currently, they are all touted to work the same but there is a major study going on testing the 3 of them head to head but I don't think the results will be there for many years.

I am on Arimidex but that's just what my doctor gives and I really don't think it makes a difference whatsoever.

I have heard though that if you have cholestrol problems, Aromosin doesn't make that situation worse (and Arimidex and Femara have a lesser known side effect of making that worse).

Have a nice weekend

Becky

Barbara2
04-21-2006, 11:24 AM
My Dr. gave me Arimidex. At the time (March 03)I didn't know there was another choice, and I don't believe he mentioned it. Still taking it.

Rupali
04-21-2006, 12:00 PM
I would say go for a non steriod AI. So go for Armidex...

Lyn
04-24-2006, 02:11 AM
Hi, Femara didn't work for me but Aromasin definately did, it shrunk glands while I was waiting for them to be radiated, it definately stopped the eostrogen because I had to use an eostrogen cream to get an accurate PAP smear, and when I stopped it as a blocker to let the cancer cells grow, most stupid thing I have ever done in my life, as well as it was at the suggestion of my onc who always did what I say, but it was all mentioned on this site that that was not unusual, well the cancer grew and continues to bore its way down my spinal chord, we did not know this one even existed until it had already done damage, I am back on it, the Aromasin and it has shrunk the enlarged small lymps under my arm, or it could be the Gemzar/Taxol/Herceptin which I do not seemed to have had a proper course of yet because of my spinal chord problems, all I know is that it is still growing doing its damage and I am having radiation planning on Thursday and no Hercepin chemo until radiation finished,are they saving money or my strength, I don't have a lot to be positive about at the momentl.

Love & Hugs Lyn