PDA

View Full Version : CA27.29 Tumor Marker on the Rise

tousled1
04-09-2006, 05:29 AM
My CA27.29 has doubled and I must admit that I am worried about what this could mean. Went from 16.83 to 35.92. CA27.29 still "within the normal" range which is 37.70. Have an appointment with my oncologist Wednesday.

I was diagnosed 10/25/05 with stage III invasive ductal, high nuclear grade tumor 2.5cm with 3cm invasion, ER/PRneg, HER2+++, axillary node involvement. I opted for neoadjunct chemo and have completed 4 round of A/C and 2 round of Taxatare. Have 2 more rounds to go. Plan on finishing up chemo mid May and then have surgery.

Anyone out there have any insight into what have made my tumor marker shoot up like that???

tricia keegan
04-09-2006, 07:01 AM
Kate,I was reading Dr Susan Love's book and she states this can happen for a number of reasons even just from meds you may be taking.She also feels for this reason these tests are a bad idea as they cause undue stress and are not that reliable in a diagnosis.I can understand your concern but would'nt think the worst here.Good luck with your apt and keep us posted.
Tricia

CherylS
04-09-2006, 08:24 AM
My markers went up during chemo, and my onc. said virtually everyone's do. Since I have finished chemo they are back down. They were originally in the mid 20's, and went up to 46 at their highest, now back down to where they have remained in the mid 20's. I have recently had bone scan, chest x-ray, MRI
and all is well. Please don't be overly concerned and rest in the good care you are getting.

jener8er
04-09-2006, 09:26 AM
My tumor markers went up during chemo too - I think as high as 65. Really freaked me out, but they slowly came back down after chemo. Now hanging steady at 16. I'm sure yours will come down once you finish chemo. Hang in there.

Barbara
04-09-2006, 03:21 PM
Hi:

My tumor markers, liver enzymes, etc. all went up about mid way through chemo. My CA 27-29 reached 58. There was an article written a couple years ago that said that Nuelasta causes 17% of patietns to have elevated tumor markers and often AST and ALT levels. My CA 27-29 and my liver tests all went down rapidly after I received my last Nuelasta injection.

Barb

tousled1
04-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Thanks for all your replies. I was a bit worried but feel better now. I do get the neulasta and procrit injections so maybe that's all it is. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Chelee
04-09-2006, 05:12 PM
I can't be of any help...but posts like yours help me. I don't even know what a tumor marker is? Why isn't my ocologist telling me about my tumor markers? I am SO LOST compared to most here. No one tells me nothing and its NOT because I don't ask. I am going to get all my records tomorrow...I feel so left out of the loop.

I already changed to a different oncologist for this very same reason...NOT being told things. I am stage IIIA and I want to know everything. I come to this board and hear so many things I haven't a clue about. I guess I need to ask what my CA 27 -29 is? Is this in my lab work from each visit?

I hope you get the answers you want and things turn out ok. I do know with all the drugs we get and then things like Neulasta and Procrit...things could be off because of that.