PDA

View Full Version : Abraxane - most common side effects??

Unregistered
04-05-2006, 07:38 PM
For anyone that knows about Abraxane, what are the most common side effects?

~ hair loss?
~ nausea?
~ flu-like symptoms?

Thanks in advance!

Yorkiegirl
04-05-2006, 08:53 PM
I had 4treatments of Abraxane. I already had the Hair loss from the 4 X AC/

I never had any nausea, I had diarrhea real bad, and was real tired, I did had low RBC two times. I did have joint and muscle pain but it did go away.

I was looking at my hand out sheet and this is what they list could be some side effects:

Hair Loss, Low WBC, Low RBC, fatigue, nausea, vomiting , joint and muscle pain.
fever, infection, tingling of hands and feet, headache, heart rhythm abnormalities, low blood platelet count.

They should give you hand out sheet to read and go over and sign, WELL at least they at my Center, I have to sign a consent form for any treatment and sign a form I have read and asked any questions on the drug I am being given. They keep a copy and I get a copy.

Heck my binder is getting so full with all of my paper work I have. LOL

Vicki

IRENE FROM TAMPA
04-06-2006, 04:34 AM
I started on Abraxane in July of 2005 (was just taken off).

The only side effects I had was some neuraphy (?) of the hands and feet and a not really extremely bad. (I went bowling last nite so not too bad)

My counts have actually been better then on any other chemo I have taken. Never experienced any nausea or diarhea. Had hair loss of course.

For me I have to say has not been a bad drug to take.

I hope you have same experience and good luck.

Unregistered
04-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Thanks so much for your replies.

I was confused about the most common side effects of Abraxane. One website listed things, but another didn't include hair loss. Looks like Abraxane causes hair loss. :-(

Irene, why were you taken off Abraxane? Are you on any other chemos presently?

Good luck to all!

Unregistered
04-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Well at present my tumor marker (CEA) is on the rise and that is a pretty good indicator for me that something is stirring again. So it may be that the Abraxane has stopped working for me. I have just rescanned and will get results next week and on to the next drug. I am not sure until we find out what is going on what I will do next.

My onc just decided to stop the Abraxane until we see what is actually happening.

Take care.

IRENE FROM TAMPA
04-06-2006, 08:14 PM
sorry I forgot to register before I answered your question, but the prior response was from me

Irene

Unregistered
04-07-2006, 03:37 PM
One more question... can you tell me how frequent you have had Abraxane? Thanks!

IRENE FROM TAMPA
04-07-2006, 03:47 PM
No problem, you can ask me as many questions as you like.

I asked if I could take the Abraxane weekly at a smaller dose which my onc. agreed on since I had taken so many different chemos prior, we were not sure how my counts would tolerate it.
I took a dose weekly for three weeks and then I had one week off. I tolerated it very well.

Hope everything goes well for you and like I said if I can answer any other questions, I would love to.