PDA

View Full Version : new onc. herceptin w/o chemo possible

mom22girlz
04-04-2006, 07:29 PM
First of all, thank you to everyone who offered support after my last terrible appt with the first onc. It has been so difficult to wait, but it was so worth it. Things were much more positive. The doctor said my treatment is not cut and dry, falls in a gray area. But, he wants to do the oncotype test to see if chemo is a good idea. But, in the meantime, he wants me to start radiation so that we are making some progress. It has been a bit over two months since my first surgery. Then, he said because of my her2neu status, he would give me herceptin even if chemo is not to be used. He also said he wants to do a bit more research on my exact situation before we make the final treatment plan. This was so much better than my first experience! I told him about the first comment that my children would remember me and he said there was no reason for that to be said... that he knows with treatment I can look forward to a long life. First radiation will be thursday. Thank you so much for all your kind words. Susan

Cathya
04-04-2006, 08:21 PM
Susan;

I am so glad this experience was better than your last. I really enjoy my oncologist....he has a great sense of humour and is sensitive. It is a relationship that has developed over time. It sounds to me like your onc is thoughtful and willing to work out a game plan for you personally. Herceptin is so key to our treatment in my view....stage 1 or whatever. If you look over all of the recent articles on this site you will see why he is so positive and agreeing that you can look forward to a long life. Rest during your radiation. I personally found it as bad as the chemo. Keep us informed.

Best regards,

Cathya

Yorkiegirl
04-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Susan I am so glad your experiemce with this new Onc went much better for you.

Best wishes with your radiation, Please keep us posted.

Vicki