PDA

View Full Version : Swelling

kansasrose
04-03-2006, 07:59 PM
It's been a long while since I've been here. I am watching a program on ABC about a woman who went into heart failure due to an unnamed breast cancer drug I am wondering if it is Herceptin? Anyway, I have noticed the last few weeks a heaviness in my chest. Not pain, but, heaviness, as if I have pressure in my chest cavity. I also notice that my ankles on the outside are quite swollen, and my feet are tingly and a bit discolored.

I went through a scare several months ago thinking that I had diabetes... the tingling in my feet, the discoloration, a lot of weight gain. But, everything checked out. I have begun to do more exercise. My energy level os pretty good. I guess my question is: are any of you Herceptin gals having long lasting swelling in the ankles? Can heaviness in my chest be nothing? I know that I need to call doc... it's been several months since I've seen any doctor and have enjoyed the reprieve. But, just wanted some feedback. Here are my 'stats"

Stage 3c, 15/17 nodes positive March 2003
Her2+++
4 AC
4 Taxol
35 rads
1 year of weekly Herceptin
completed December, 2004
In many ways,I am feeling stronger than ever. But, I am now a widow, losing husband while undergoing treatment and am raising two kids alone. Any advice from you all is so greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Kansasrose

AlaskaAngel
04-03-2006, 08:07 PM
I am not taking Herceptin as yet. However, since Herceptin can have adverse cardiac effects and the long-term effects are not well known yet, based on your description I think you see your doctor and consider requesting either an echo or a MUGA scan. I don't know how old your and your heart are, but continued swollen ankles and heaviness of the chest with or without a history of Herceptin should be investigated promptly.

AlaskaAngel

Lisa
04-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Rose,

It's good to "see" you again. While you've been through so much the past couple of years, you still MUST go see your onc. It might be something simple, or not. But you need to find out.

Love and light,

Lisa

Lolly
04-03-2006, 09:16 PM
Hi Kansasrose; I second AA's motion, please get thee to the doctor asap. I'm so glad to see you're feeling stronger since you're husband's passing, but you really must get this checked out. Keep us posted, ok?

<3 Lolly

Rozebud
04-04-2006, 09:12 PM
No idea, but I just popped in for the first time in several weeks to see this post. I'm glad you're hanging in there Rose. I think about you and your children often....especially when I'm visiting my friends in the "T" town.

You're in my thoughts and prayers - the other KS Rose

Unregistered
04-05-2006, 11:08 AM
I have been on weekly Herceptin. At one time, my ankles were swollen, but not discolored nor tingly. I was on a vacation, so I did a lot of walking. I thought that I walked too much that it caused the swelling. Then I saw my onc nurse, she prescribed me a "water pill" due to poor circulation. She said that my heart was not pumping strongly enough. I was off Herceptin for a couple of weeks, until I passed yet another Echo exam. Kansasrose, this may be your situation. I ditto everyone's posts, since you haven't seen an onc for a good while, it's high time you saw one again. Have your ankles checked out soon! God bless.

Unregistered
04-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Rose;

I am so sorry to hear of the added troubles you have been through. When I saw my onc last week he took me off herceptin due to decreased heart function (42 on the MUGA). He explained that this exam sees the actual heart beating and mine was beating in a sluggish manner due to the herceptin. I have a little bit of swelling (and really not much) to my feet and one hand (the non lymph node removed arm). I also feel heavy in my chest. I can't really tell if it's my breast (I had a lumpectomy) or my heart. My doctor is running some other tests and watches my neck and head for mets carefully due to the tumor I had in my left supraclavicular node so perhaps the symptoms are related to that I really don't know. As the ladies say, it is better to go and have things checked out.

Best regards,

Cathy

MCS
04-05-2006, 10:33 PM
Maybe herceptin combined with high blood pressure?

My mom was diagnosed with high blood pressure with the same symptoms you have ( no bc though). And considering all the issues you are handling now, it could be aggravating any part of your body.

Hang tough

MCS ( Maria)

sadie
04-08-2006, 08:41 PM
I, too, have had off & on ankle swelling since starting my Herceptin/Taxol combo.
I just finished #9 out of 12 weekly treatments.
They did a venous doppler to check for leg clots.
They told me that 1 ankle swelling could be a sign of a clot.
If both ankles swell, it could mean heart trouble.

Well, my doppler came back negative; Then the following week, both of my ankles swelled as well as both of my legs up to the hips.
My onc wasn't in, so another dr called in an appt for an echo asap to compare with my last.
My very first Muga was 71%.
My 2nd (done after 4 AC treatments) came back at 55%. Since it was a big drop, they did an echocardiogram to compare; That came back at 58%.
When my legs & ankles both swelled, the echo came back at 60-65%.
That was a relief, but I still am having other signs of chf.
Sometimes, I get slightly winded after excertion. I also developed a cough from phlegm in the lower throat after starting the Herceptin combo. My legs have not swelled since that one day, but my left ankle still swells off and on.
I am trying to find out the culprit.
I notice the day after eating canned soup my ankle swells slightly. (lots of sodium there!)
I started taking 50mg COQ10 around the same time the swellings occurred.
I have not taken it on a regular basis; so that will be my next "test". I will take it for a couple of days and see if my ankles or legs swell.
My onc hasn't been concerned about the ankle swelling or the cough;
I haven't seen her since before I had the echo done. I'll see what she says at my appt. this Tuesday.
Sadie

Chelee
04-08-2006, 11:01 PM
I have been on herceptin also. Two full rounds of chemo with weekly herceptin. This last time both ankles are really swollen, red and WARM to touch. Concerns me. I was sent to a pulmonary doctor and he just listened to my heart and looked at my ankles and legs and said to go to the hospital and have a doppler done on both ankles and legs. The gal that did the doppler sent me home so I guess I am fine as far as they are concerned.

But I am not real happy about this. I had a 10 day stay the first round after chemo due to low wbc...got infection. Delayed chemo. But ended up on oxygen and in fact I am still on it...even here at home.

So now here I sit on oxygen...and now I have the swollen ankles which are RED and again...warm to almost hot to touch.

I asked my pulomary doctor if it was ok to go ahead with my chemo THIS Monday (4-10-06). He said yes. I hope they know what they are talking about.

My very first chemo which was herceptin, taxotere and carbpotin I didn't have ANY swelling of legs, feet, or ankles. And that first round I even had the weekly herceptin. Now this time around I had NO swelling until about the 3rd week after the infusion.

I wouldn't be as concerned if it wasn't for my breathing difficulties...on top of the swollen feet, ankles and lower legs. It like now that I had the doppler, and he gave me some lasix (water pill) to take...its ok to go ahead with the chemo.

I too watched that show you are talking about on channel 7 where the women ended up with heart failure from a cancer drug she had. I had the same thoughts you did.

I am suppose to take my decadron in the morning and again that evening to prepare for my chemo Monday...and I would be lying if I told you I wasn't worried and stressed out. I thought after the lasix my ankles would come down some...but they haven't much at all? I have had swollen ankles before...but NOTHING like this. They are hugh! And oh so painful to touch. It hurts to walk. My oncologist just told me to go home and put my feet above my heart.

It seems the only one concerned is me. :(

R.B.
04-09-2006, 03:56 AM
I know I keep nagging on about it but improving your omega three intake ( and reducing your six to balance) is recognised by some of the medicial progression as being benificial to cardiac health.

See posts on this site - use search feature above right on purple line.

RB