PDA

View Full Version : Q10 and the brain

jhandley
02-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Hi all
I came across this info. today:
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (1998; 95):When CoQ10 was administered to middle-age and old-age rats, the level of CoQ10 increased by 10% to 40% in the cerebral cortex region of the brain. This increase was sufficient to restore levels of CoQ10 to those seen in young animals. After only two months of CoQ10 supplementation, mitochondrial energy expenditure in the brain increased by 29%, compared with the group not getting CoQ10. The human equivalent dose of CoQ10 to achieve these results is 100 to 200 mg a day. When a neuro-toxin was administered, CoQ10 helped protect against damage to the striatal region of the brain where dopamine is produced. When CoQ10 was administered to rats genetically bred to develop amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease), a significant increase in survival time was observed. The scientists concluded: "CoQ10 can exert neuroprotective effects that might be useful in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases." This new study showed that short-term supplementation with moderate amounts of CoQ10 produced profound anti-aging effects in the brain. Previous studies have shown that CoQ10 may protect the brain via several mechanisms, including reduction in free radical generation and protection against glutamate-inducted excito-toxicity. The study documented that orally supplemented CoQ10 specifically enhanced metabolic energy levels of brain cells. While this effect in the brain has been previously postulated, the new study provides hard-core evidence."

So...
If Q10 crosses the blood brain barrier (which it does) and has an anticancer effect (partic. in high doses 300-400 mg) I am wondering whether it might prevent or delay mets to the brain. If members who have/had brain mets. could possibly post and let us know if they were on Q10 at all and what doses and also if members who dont have brain mets but have had other mets could post too particularly if using >200mg/day it might provide some info. fro us all.
Jackie

Unregistered
02-03-2006, 04:05 AM
Fascinating.

Do you know where the full trial result can be found.

You might also want to check out omega three and flavanoids in respect of brain health.

RB

StephN
02-03-2006, 11:52 AM
Hi -
I am a brain mets survivor and also have been taking the CoQ10 100 mg per day for a very long time - about 3.5 years, when I got off the last chemo regimen.

When brain mets discovered last Jan I upped the dose to 200 mg per day and than after a couple of months went back to 100mg.

Being sensitive to meds and supplements I tend to take an adequate dose, but not the highest.

It is very possible I would have had more mets if I had not taken the coenzyme. My med onc thinks those cells lodged in my brain at the time of my raging liver mets and have just bided their time so to speak.

Remember that cancer loves an anaerobic environment and does not thrive as well in a well-oxegenated surrounding.