PDA

View Full Version : Update 4 days post X-knife....

Esther
01-30-2006, 08:16 AM
Ok, Ok I can hear it now, what the heck was I doing skiing 3 days post X-knife procedure to the brain? Especially to the cerebellum, which controls balance?

Oh well. Conditions in our local mountains were crappy this week-end, it's been too warm and the snow was icy big chunks of ice. Skiing was rough. We went over to try the other side of the mountain and encountered lot's of big chunks of ice. This was about our 5th run of the day.

About half way down, I told Chris, this is ugly injury conditions. I'm stopping when we get down to the lodge.

No sooner did I say that then down I went, lost my poles, one ski came off, I banged into the mountain and felt a chunk of ice dig into my back. Can you believe the ice was so hard and sharp it ripped a 4 inch hole into my jacket???? I've never seen that happen!!!

OH yeah....since we were only half way down the mountain.....I put my skis back on and skiid down to the lodge. I still skiid a couple of more runs on the other side where conditions were better before we left for the day.

I took an extra decadron yesterday in case all that banging around caused some swelling in my brain. Of all the days for that to happen! I have never had a fall like that, I hardly ever fall at all. Chris thought maybe I had my balance just slightly off, where just some weird snow conditions threw me off. He thought in normal times I would have been able to handle that. I don't know, I've never liked ice chunks because it makes your skis glide rough, and is harder to maintain your balance.

One thing is for sure, I know ski conditions, and judged it right when I said it was time for me to get off those runs.

We leave for Telluride, CO with our group of friends on Friday the 3rd of Feb. There are 26 of us going and sharing condos. I've only told 3 close friends about my brain lesion and X-knife, because I don't want to spend the 10 days thinking about cancer and answering questions. I want to be a normal person enjoying a ski vacation with my friends.

I'll take it easy, I'm thinking I may not race this year, just do easy skiing. I know for some me skiing so soon after X-knife seems foolish, but it's such a big part of our winter fun, and makes me feel normal. Hard to explain, but for me it's a quality of life issue....if I can ski, I figure I'm still ok.

Marlys
01-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Esther,
I think it is great that you are doing what you love & not letting this disease take that away from you. Please do not let anyone (with the possible exception of your Higher Power ) convince you to change!
Love & hugs,
Marlys

Becky
01-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Esther

You listened to your body and found the met and you knew skiing conditions were icy and stopped (that side of the mountain).

Its great you can show all of us that you can just keep going even with a brain met and subsequent treatment.

You go

Becky

StephN
01-30-2006, 01:04 PM
Dear Esther -
So glad you were out and about in the mountain air.
I would stay on the prescribed dose as extra Dec probably will not do anything, as this drug has a longer term effect in the brain.
I would be willing to bet that it is the cumulative effect of the Decadron that is slightly weakening your knees. All of us here who have taken this drug and posted about it have reported noticing weakness in our legs to varying degrees.
Gripping with your legs in hard, icy ski conditions is difficult even if you are in shape. (I skied for 48 years - started young!)
Dollars to doughnuts the problem would not be with your balance, but with the slight debilitation from the Decadron.
With a much larger tumor and more inflammation, I had NO balance problems.

The Decadron side effects get worse after the first week, so be on the watch for constipation, fatigue and anything else that does not feel normal.
Extra intake of water is also advised as this drug is sucking all the fluids out of your tissues in the effort to remove any inflammation in your brain.

Too bad about your jacket, but at least you were otherwise unharmed in that fall!

Barbara H.
01-30-2006, 04:24 PM
Hi Esther,
How much Decadron are you on. Your doctor may allow you to tart tapering to a lower dose. You can tell if the dose is too low because you will begin to get a headache. Have a great time on your trip. I wish I could still ski but by knees won't allow it.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.
P.S. Can you send us some pictures?