PDA

View Full Version : Rib Pain, but no mets on scans...

julierene
01-28-2006, 08:10 AM
I've had rib pain for probably 2 years, since I had my implants and bilateral mastectomy. I have been run through a PET scan, and nothing... Most of the tenderness is at the ribs in the front, but sometimes it wraps all the way around and under both cages.

I have liver mets, and mets to spine and left clavical dx about 1 month ago. At times the ribs are so tender to the touch that I can feel them when I turn over in bed (against the mattress). I don't feel any lumps or bumps though. And nothing on scan. Onc says even if it was mets, that this treatment of Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin will likely make me feel better. But I would almost say the treatment makes me hurt there more... The treatment has made my back hurt more at times too.

Anyone ever experienced this?

StephN
01-28-2006, 12:16 PM
If you are taking the Neupogen, Arenesp, or Neulasta (which are all essentially the same thing) these can make your bones ache. At least for a while when you first take them. These drugs cause you bone marrow to work overtime to keep your white blood count up.
My bones ached each time I had to uses one of those drugs, but it also got better. I took Naproxin for the discomfort to help me sleep.

DeborahNC
01-28-2006, 02:43 PM
I have had the kind of rib pain you describe for over 2 years. I, too, have been scanned and shown to be NED. I am under the care of a rheumatologist who is reluctant to label me Lupus since I don't test positive in every category, so she's calling it chronic costochondritis. Now that chemo is over I'll try PT, perhaps a TENS unit for the pain. I can empathize.

On edit: Chemo exacerbated the pain to a new level!

Lani
01-28-2006, 04:13 PM
I seem to remember a previous post where a number of members on herceptin complained of rib pain. I guess you could put "rib pain" into the search function of this website and see what you come up with.

Hope this helps,
Lani