PDA

View Full Version : Is it BC mets to the esophegus?

lu ann
01-26-2006, 06:40 PM
I had radiation treatment 2 years ago for mets to the mediastynime and spine. My last CT scan showed stable disease. Over the last month I have woke up from sleep with strong stomach acid in my throat. I have also experienced some tightening in my esophegus when I eat. I had spaghetti for dinner this evening and felt like I was choking. The spaghetti never made it to my stomach. I had to force it back up so I would not choke. I do have pleural effusion that could be the cause of this constriction or this could be a spread of the disease. Has anyone else had these symptoms? I am half-way through a two month break from chemo and herceptin. I will be getting my zometa treatment next Wednesday and I will tell my nurse about these new symptoms. I am bumbed out to say the least as this possible tumor can be very life-threatening if it gets out of control. Thanks and Bless You. Lu Ann

al from Canada
01-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Lu ann,

Don't wait 'till Wednesday! If you can't swallow there is something else going on that shouldn't wait. Go to your hospital first thing tomorrow...better still, tonight. Worst case scenario: what happens if you get obstructed breathing? This may be nothing but let's not go into denial and go get this thing looked at asap. If that happened to Linda, you wouldn't hear about it until I got back from the hospital! Best case scenario: you can laugh about heartburn with the nurses on Wedneday but....start the car.

Al.

lu ann
01-26-2006, 08:23 PM
Al, I don't think I need to go to the emergency room, but I will call the doc in the morning. I can probably count on 1 hand the no. of episodes I have had in the past month, but this was the first time I felt the choking feeling. I was able to finish dinner taking smaller bites of food and did not feel the discomfort. Your right about the not going into denial, but I have had my share of emergency rooms in the past and am willing to risk waiting till the morning. Thanks for your concern. Lu Ann

al from Canada
01-26-2006, 08:32 PM
just don't forget,
Al

Julie
01-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Hi lu ann - simple acid reflux can cause feelings of choking. It causes esophageal spasms; a good clue is the acid regurgitation you're getting in the night. That's classic for GERD, or acid reflux disease. But any swallowing/esophageal disorder needs to be investigated. Good luck!!

Lolly
01-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Lu Ann, what Julie says is quite accurate; my own sister ended up in ER with the very same symptoms and it was diagnosed as severe Acid Reflux. And it can be serious if not treated, so do get thee to the doctor in the am ASAP!

<3 Lolly

Tracy
01-27-2006, 06:06 AM
Lu Ann, I have a very bad case of GERD, I am on Prevacid for it, your symptoms sound very much the same as what I experienced. I used to feel as if I was choking at night, like my throat was closing. I hope when you get it checked all is ok.
Thinking of you, Tracy

lu ann
02-01-2006, 03:57 PM
I had my Ct scan today that was origionally scheduled for 02/13. I should get results tommorrow or the next day. Of course my symptoms have just about gone away, but that's a good thing. Doc put me on prilosec for the heart burn. I'm not having too much of that either. I have been really dry (cotton mouth) since I've been on paxil, and elavil. Could it be possible that my esophages is also being affected? I'll know soon. I just hope I don't have to get an endoscope down my thoat. I'm do for a colonoscopy and endoscopy(I guess that's what it's called) this year. I had my first 5 years ago next Dec. and of all the tests I've had the endoscopy was the most invasive. They heavily sedate you but you have to be awake enough to swollow the endoscope. I'll spare you any more graphic details. Blessings, Lu Ann.