PDA

View Full Version : Please Need info on liver enzymes measures!!!!

MCS
01-19-2006, 10:34 AM
My onc just called to tell me that after my second taxol, my liver enzymes had bumped up. supposedly we will discuss next Monday. I have two more taxols

What's a normal level for these?

What causes it?

Is it cumulative, that is gets worse after each treatment since the body supposedly gets weaker?

can I feel physically the rise of these?

can I do anything to prevent or control this rise? I do believe that there are things we can do to manage some things

I really need help form you experts.

Thank you all

\\\xo (http://///xo)

MCS (Maria)

Unregistered
01-19-2006, 10:52 AM
This site explains liver enzymes. Don't panic!

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/liver_panel/glance.html

Sue

RhondaH
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Every facility has a different level of "normal" on these, you may want to get a copy of your bloodwork and this would say what the "normal" range is and where you are. MANY things cause this, so don't panic yet (I saw you were Stage 1 like myself), BUT take it seriously also. After starting Herceptin every 3 weeks, mine started to rise so my onc switched me to weekly and they came down (ps, they did a abdominal CT to make sure there weren't mets to the liver and it was fine). If you go to the top and in the search bar type in liver enzymes, you will get a lot more information, as I had questions when mine rose. Good luck and God bless.

Rhonda

MCS
01-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Thank you Rhonda!

The liver enzymes panel came down a bit last week. So I was able to get my herceptin. If stay in check, will get taxol on Monday. I so look forward to be well to get the chemo. Ironic

I understand that milk thistle is good against liver desease and can protect the bile machine from Taxol and acetiminophen ( tylenol) - I don't know if you knew that. I am planning to do a little search on this. It is not an antioxidant so it's probably safe to take during chemo

Thank you again

MCS ( Maria)

StephN
01-25-2006, 12:17 PM
Hello Maria -
You have mentioned Milk Thistle.
When I had my big time liver mets attack, I went on this in capsule form. My med onc had no probem with this and I was on Taxol, Navelbine and Herceptin. Thistle is a supplement that cleanses the liver and blood of various debris. You can also get it in the form of herb tea.

I took the Milk Thistle caps all though my treatment and for several months aftewards. It did not seem to have any adverse effect on my treatment and gave me no side effects.