PDA

View Full Version : puppy question

sally
01-18-2006, 12:14 PM
I am getting a puppy in a few months and the breeder has their dogs spayed/neutered at 7-8 weeks old. (unless you want to breed the dog yourself). I thought they had to wait until 5-6 months old. Does anyone know if this is o.k.? I have previously read about other members of this site getting puppies and how much it can help for overall happiness, recovery ect. I think our family will get so much enjoyment. My daughter has been begging for a puppy and a baby brother or sister. She is 7 yrs old and has Asperger Syndrome. (mild) Well I'm really getting off track of my puppy question. Thanks for any advice. Sally

Sheila
01-18-2006, 12:24 PM
I was told you wait until they are 6 mos old.

Becky
01-18-2006, 01:01 PM
I was urged by my vet to get our female pup spayed by 5 months so that she wouldn't come into heat first. Believe it or not, this is to reduce the chance of breast cancer in female dogs. Apparently if you never let them come into heat, they have practically no risk of bc.

Becky

TriciaK
01-18-2006, 02:24 PM
Congratulations on your decision to add a new family member! You will be amazed at how soon a puppy really is part of a family and how much they can add, although the puppy stage is somewhat of a pain! Getting a dog is a lifetime committment--- for the dog's lifetime, that is-- but they can bring such total love, devotion, acceptance and forgiveness. What kind of puppy are you getting? I always understood it was best to spay a female pup before first heat. Eight weeks seems pretty young; maybe it depends on the size of the breed and how soon they get big. Good luck---let us know how it all turns out and send pictures! Hugs, Tricia

tammymarie1971
01-18-2006, 02:34 PM
Hi..We just got a puppy 2 weeks ago she was 6wks old and is a black lab pointer cross. We've decided to let her have at least one litter before we spay her..I had heard that this is healthy and makes for a better dog???
Our four kids love our Jessie..We had the hardest time picking a name!!
I used to be an animal person before we had kids and then the busyness of kids took over and I had no use for more work from an animal!! I must say though that this little girl has found a place in my heart!!!And our bed!!!!
The first night I let the dog in the bed was because she was whinning and I wanted to sleep so I just put her in our bed...As I was doing this...I was reminded of a conversation I had with myself at least 4 times before...hmmmmm..Do you really want to start this habit with the baby sleeping with us??? and aren't we going to spoil him/her if they sleep with us???..etc....I laughed to myself and reminded myself this was a dog!!!!! of course she can sleep with us!!!LOL
Tammy.

lu ann
01-18-2006, 02:44 PM
A puppy sounds like a great idea for your whole family. As for when to have her spayed, why not get a second opinion from another vet. They would probably tell you over the phone when the best age would be.

Dr. Phil just had a show on the other day about Asperger Syndrome. There was a doctor on the show talking about a new therepy available. You can find out more by going on his web site at Dr.Phil.com

Many Blessings, Lu Ann.

kristen
01-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Sally,
Many moons ago, I was a vet tech. Unless something has changed that I have never heard of, you are recommended to spay or neuter at around 6 months. I have had animals all my life. (Thank God, I live next door to Veterinarians. )
I would check with someone, for instance, you are not even to give rabies shots until 4 months old and some of the flea and tick repellent or pills you cannot give to a pup so I find it hard to believe that they would anesthestise a pup? Sounds strange to me, but things change and as we have seen here it can happen overnight.

Nicola
01-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Hi Sally,

Congratulations on your new edition. I am a vet tech and we recommend that puppies/kittens are weaned from their mother at 6-8 weeks old, they should start vaccinations at this same age. You may spay or neuter your puppy or kitten at 4-6 months old. I also recommend that you set a time to meet with the breeder at your vet clinic of choice and have the veterinarian give the puppy a complete check-up before you make the transaction final or bring your puppy home. If you have any further questions that I can help you with just let me know.

Hugs,
Nicola

THE BENEFITS Females: Spaying - Ovariohysterectomy
Prevents signs of estrus (heat) Prevents blood stains on carpet from heat cycle, Decreases chance of breast tumors, Eliminates chance of cystic ovaries, Eliminates chance of uterine infections, Prevents breast development (if done early) No unwanted pregnancies or offspring.

Males: Neutering - Castration
Reduced prostatic disease, Testicular disease eliminated, Decreases desire to roam, Decreases odor of tom cat urine, Decreases aggression, Reduces spraying and marking, Eliminates undesirable sexual behavior.

Sandy H
01-18-2006, 08:20 PM
I got a pug puppy at 9 weeks old. My vet said he would neuter him at 6 months and would do it at 5 if I wanted him to. I am considering calling him and do it at 5 months. He is some what agressive and likes to bite. This may quiet him down. I am also taking him to obedient classes next week. He is bringing us so much joy. My husband and I never liked dogs!! This is one of many changes I have seen since my diagnose. I am sure you will find much enjoyment with your new addition to the family. This is a life time committment and I have it set up that if anything happens to my husband and myself and we are unable to take care of Yoda then my son will have him. He is 4 months old and I can't imagine life with out him now. Good luck, Sandy

miraclethree
01-18-2006, 08:32 PM
Hi,

This is my first post, but I visit the site often. My husband and I live in Canada where the SPCA will spay or neuter at 6-8 weeks of age. The SPCA of Alberta began trying the proceedure on cats because of the explosive growth population leaving so many unwanted. What they found was that at this age the cats healed faster and seemed to be in less pain.

Hope that helps.
Love
Ruth Ann

Unregistered
01-19-2006, 05:50 AM
Just a comment. It does NOT benefit the dog or cat for that matter to have "at least one litter". Please please please have your pets "fixed". I am a big sponser of animal no kill shelters. There are millions of unwanted cats and dogs due to the "well meaning intentions" of people that want to allow their pet to have at least one litter. I spend thousands of dollars every year helping to find homes, pay for surgeries, etc for those animals.

I am sorry to jump on my band wagon. p.s. One should wait until at least 5 months of age.

Esther
01-19-2006, 06:06 AM
Sandy you have a pug, that's great! I have my three pug babies that I love to death.

I would advice that you neuter your puppy as early as your vet feels is ok, otherwise pugs can get into the habit of "marking" their territory, if you know what I mean. Early neutering prevents that from happening.