PDA

View Full Version : Supplements NOT to take with Herceptin?

janet/FL
11-28-2005, 08:20 PM
We have talked a lot about supplements to take with Herceptin, and I know of some not to take with chemo. But now I am on Herceptin alone and can't remember if there are some that should not be taken with Herceptin. Comments please?
Janet

Maryanne
11-29-2005, 01:56 PM
Hi Janet,

Herceptin is not as limiting as Chemo with regards to supplements.

On Sunday at 8pm (Eastern time) we are having our first moderated topic discussion in the chat room on Nutrition and Supplements. I do hope you can join us as I think alot of members are very knowledgeable on this and can be of great help.

Hope you can join us,
Maryanne

janet/FL
11-29-2005, 05:42 PM
Thanks, Maryanne, I will look forward to the discussion.
Janet

Unregistered
12-01-2005, 06:08 AM
And can we eat grapefruit????

Becky
12-01-2005, 08:58 AM
I believe you can eat grapefruit if all you are taking is Herceptin. However, if you are taking Fosamax (a bone hardener) or any hormonal (if you are also either ER or PR positive to include all hormonals - Taxoxifen, Arimidex, Femara or Aromosin) you should not take grapefruit within 2-4 hours of ingestion of those drugs (ask your pharmacist to be sure especially with Fosamax which is a weekly pill and I don't know if its weekly because it is sustained release or not).

Best regards

Becky

Unregistered
12-01-2005, 03:27 PM
Please see the post on the articles of interest site which trys to explain some of the complexities of fat usage, and other issues to consider at the same time as looking at how much and how to take GLA if it is for you.

See the third from last paragraph of the trial below which seems to suggest powerful synergystic potential for trastuzumab and GLA.

You may wish to discuss it with your advisors

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed&cmd=search&term=breast+cancer+Gamma+linolenic+acid

RB