PDA

View Full Version : Weight lifting?

Patty H
11-27-2005, 05:23 PM
Back before bc I used to go to the gym. I had more muscle at 50 then I did in my 20s. After I finished treatment the first time, I went back to the gym. After my first reoccurrence I again went back but after the third time with lung and bone mets I just couldn't seem to do it anymore. Now 3 years later I have no muscle left. I was wondering what the opinion of weight lifting was among you on this site. I think about how I'm not suppose to lift with my right arm so maybe it would not be smart to do weights. I know people would probably think this is a silly thing to be even considered seeing how I am stage 4. But stage 4 people still like to be in shape too! I don't even know if I could do it anymore. Just something that's on my mind. Patty H

Becky
11-27-2005, 05:57 PM
I have read that there are pros and cons to weight lifting with the affected arm (due to the threat of lymphedema). However, I have also read that to avoid lymphedema, you should exercise the arm but never use weights that are more than 10 pounds. That said, perhaps you should go to a gym or interview people (or talk to a physical therapist at your hospital/cancer center) about seeing a trainer who understands breast cancer/lymphedema issues and then go from there.

During October the Newark Star Ledger did a breast cancer related article every Monday (and there were 5 Mondays this year). One article had to do with exercising (that included weights and that it was good for the arm when approached right). It also extensively interviewed a woman who owns 5 "Curves" workout centers (including the one that is near me) and she bought the franchises to work out more after having survived breast cancer. She really touted it.

So... I would go for it but find out how to proceed from someone who really understands and knows.

Best regards,

Becky

Barbara H.
11-27-2005, 06:11 PM
Hi Everyone,
I am also stage 4 and will be having surgery this Friday or the following Monday. I am planning on going to my exercise classes this week. I used to walk a lot but have been out of shape for many years. This past summer I started attending exercise classes 4 to 5 days a week. Now that I am back in school I try to go at least two to three times a week. The classes are more motivating for me. One of the classes includes strength training. I use weights but I am very careful with my affected arm. I also do yoga and that is a kind of strength training. I feel much healthier since I have been exercising and I am hoping that it will counteract the effects of the decradon I will have to take next week.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.

Esther
11-27-2005, 06:57 PM
My oncologist has encouraged me to work out with light weights. I also use the arm regularly to raise myself up rock climbing, and water skiing, as well as while dirt bike riding.

I'm stage 4 also, and for me, a big part of my quality of life is the ability to be active and have fun. I do try to be careful, and have not shown any signs of lymphedema yet. After reading Steph's post I know better what to look out for and how important immediate treatment is.

For me, it's a fine line between being careful and enjoying myself. But then...I also went snow skiing when I was newly diagnosed with bone mets. I am a careful skiier and hardly ever fall, but I suppose there was a risk there. But if I stopped being active, my QOL would really compromised.

Have you discussed it with your Onc? See what he has to say and start out slow with some workouts.

jessica
11-27-2005, 09:36 PM
HI! I have been Stage IV since primary dx in May of 2002. I'm a Pilates Instructor & personal trainer & w/the blessing of my breast surgeon, I taught a class 4 days after my lumpectomy-the drainage tube was still in place too!
From the day after my surgery, I have worked very diligently to maintain flexiblity & strength in the affected side AND I had 12 of 12 positive nodes. I don't see any deficits at all.
I recommend that you consult w/a physical therapist that has a strong knowledge & backround working w/breast cancer patients. I have a couple of BC Survivor clients-one had bil mast w/tram flap reconstrtuction. When she first came to me, she had compromised bilateral flexibility in her shoulder girdle and the core strength was really impaired. Since she started training w/me, it's amazing how flexible, strong, solid & centered she is...her surgeon even asked her what she was doing b/c she's made such great improvements from one visit to the next. And you're always welcome to contact me directly w/any questions you might have
But first, I'd say ask your PT!
Hope this is helpful to you!
Keep the Faith!

StephN
11-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Dear Barbara -
All I have ever heard or read about surviving breast cancer (at whatever stage) encourages some kind of healthy activity. We need to get our heart rate up and keep our circulation in good working order. Fat cells are very BAD Feng Shui for cancer!

I work out with a group of women cancer survivors and we have a great trainer who is attuned to our needs. There are several women who have been wearing the sleeves, glove or both for their lymphedema and continue to workout. They use weights, but not over 5 pounds says our trainer.

So, maybe you can find a video with a workout for cancer survivors - I have seen that someplace. But, get up and do something even if you hold a couple of soup cans to start with. The weaker we get the easier it is to be injured, even inadvertantly.

Barbara H.
11-28-2005, 04:31 PM
Thanks Stephanie and Jessica,
I also go to a pilates class once a week. It is not easy for me and there is a lot I can't do, but I keep improving. I can now finally do a slow sit up with my legs flat on the floor. You can't imagine what a sense of accomplishment that gave me when I could finally do it. I wouldn't use more than five pound weights. The exercise is strenuous enough for me.
Both of you really inspire me.
Thanks for posting.
Barbara H.

Unregistered
11-29-2005, 03:53 AM
A number of trials have reported the benifts of exercise in respect of breast cancer. One trial suggested a fourty percent reduction but I suppose it could also be possible that people who exercise take care of diet etc.

Whey protein which is used by atheletes, sports people, and body builders is also reported as being benificial in breast cancer, and had better results that soy protein, (see annie appleseed site and enter whey and breast cancer in the search engine etc.)

Whey is made up of amino acids which are the bodies building blocks etc.

RB