PDA

View Full Version : Inspirational quotes needed

al from Canada
11-15-2005, 11:05 PM
Hello to all my cyber-friends and chemo-angels,

This may sound "dippy" but...I would like to catalogue a few inspirational quotes, be it someone elses' or your own. Why you ask???? I think some may be helpful when trying to describe your personal battle to your kids; it could be a reminder that you're not fighting this alone; reading an expression of feelings that you know you have but don't know how to say; maybe as an education for others..... also, Linda is writing a short childrens book on: when mom gets cancer: I think this may help. Her plans are "to give back".

We all get run over by life, a stressful job, the boss, the kids, the significant other, the household, groceries....need I go on? Linda's quote that almost knocked me over....

"why did it take getting cancer for me to realize how much I really love my life?"

Thanks,
Al

madubois63
11-16-2005, 06:06 AM
"why did it take getting cancer for me to realize how much I really love my life?"

That is an amazing quote!!

I usually just say, "I am not dying from cancer, I am LIVING with it..."

Cindi
11-16-2005, 07:25 AM
Al,

"God has brought me to it, God will see me through it" has been a phrase that has been with me during the past 4 years.

Also, Ladybugs have special meaning to me. My sister brought be several ornamental ones for my garden after my first recurrence. She said it was because "Ladybugs always land on their feet".

God Bless

Cindi.

doh2pa
11-16-2005, 07:58 AM
Well, I am going through my first metastatic episode and my friend, Lori, who is a very strong woman, told me this - not sure if it's appropriate for your situation but I say it to myself after every treatment - "When you are going through hell, just keep going!"

Cindi
11-16-2005, 08:00 AM
Al,

Here is one on "HOPE"...I always capitalize the entire word HOPE!

"HOPE" is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without words and never stops - at all. ~Emily Dickinson.

Again, God Bless.

Cindi.

Tom
11-16-2005, 12:20 PM
"Every day you wake up, is another day that God might reveal to one of those beautiful propeller heads sitting at his microscope, the Cure."

Tom

Lolly
11-16-2005, 01:06 PM
Al, here is a quote from Antoine De Saint-Exupery's "The Little Prince" that I love:

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

<3 Lolly

Unregistered
11-16-2005, 02:37 PM
"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

Shakespeare

Karen W.

margaret
11-16-2005, 03:04 PM
'When you are love.....you are loved.' Remembering that inside we're all connected and we all have an abundant source of love internally that's always available whenever we connect to our spirits.

'I am.....therefore I am grateful.' The gift of every breath is so awesome! I never realized it before breast cancer.

I'm celebrating my 4th year anniversary from stage 3b! I am so blessed and I thank God for each new day I'm granted.

Margaret

Barbara H.
11-16-2005, 03:05 PM
"Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

from "Ulysses" by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My third grade students recited the entire poem at their biography celebration last June. It was quite inspirational to hear them perform and interpret its meaning.

Barbara H.

MCS
11-16-2005, 03:38 PM
Hi all,

this is so appropriate before Thanksgiving. Not that all appreciate it, but it's really blessed now that we have the beast inside.

Yeah, it's true. God did not have to work this hard to light me up and tell me how good my life was before. He could have done it more subtly.

Some said to me today : Lust for life

blessings to all

MCS

Maryanne
11-16-2005, 04:19 PM
What Cancer Cannot DoCancer is so limited.....
It cannot cripple Love
It cannot shatter Hope
It cannot corrode Faith
It cannot destroy Peace
It cannot kill Friendship
It cannot suppress Memories
It cannot silence Courage
It cannot invade the Soul
It cannot steal eternal Life
It cannot conquer the Spirit
Author Unknown

Lolly
11-16-2005, 07:08 PM
I thought of another one, but I can't remember where/who I heard it from:

"Every day, in every way, I am getting better and better!"

Becky
11-17-2005, 08:12 AM
I believe this sums up all of us, who, after diagnosis of our loved one or ourselves, stepped up to the plate. This is one of my favorites from Shakespeare's Twelfth Night...

Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Kindest regards

Becky

michele u
11-17-2005, 08:18 AM
I like this one

"Don't die until you die"

Gina
11-17-2005, 08:07 PM
"I am healthy, I am strong, liver spots are long, long gone..."

On Second Chances

"Sometimes, just sometimes, when we try to do right by ourselves as well as by others, sometimes, we get a second chance, a chance to live or re-live moments that were for whatever reasons, somehow taken away..."

On Empathy and Compassion

"Always remember that the compassionate response is always the best response, for we will NEVER TRULY KNOW what it is like to walk in the shoes of another, even though we might come so close as to match their footprints in the sand."

On Truth and Light

"It is better to know even a dark and terrible truth, than not to know it."

I have looked for the light in all the dark places, but I have learned one thing, I NOW know for certain where the LIGHT isn't.

On Failure

Failure is the door you left unopened
A book whose last page you just couldn't read
A song you left unsung
on the very next-to-last note...

Failure is never attaining a sound resolution
To the chords of your life
that produce the harmony called Happiness
in your soul.

Failure is nothing more
than a bit of past, left hanging,
Loose threads, left untied,
merely cut.

On the necessity of losing everything just to learn a little

"Les juenes ne savent pas que l'experience est une defaite et qu'il faut tout perdre pour savoir un peu." Camus

Becky
11-18-2005, 06:24 AM
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will catch a fish"

"The ornament of a house are the friends who visit it"

"let your life speak"

Annemarie
11-18-2005, 03:58 PM
"Happiness is a habit"

geraldine
11-19-2005, 10:01 AM
Al, I use this saying at least once a day.

" Life is not a rehearsal " Enjoy every minute of every day

God Bless
Geraldine

aqua920
11-19-2005, 11:21 AM
"Anything is possible. You can be told that you have a 90-percent chance or a 50-percent chance or a 1-percent chance, but you have to believe, and you have to fight.” Lance Armstrong, cancer survivor and 7-time Tour de France winner

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are but small matters compared
to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I tried and it didn't work, is a lot better than I wish I'd tried." Anonymous

"Out of difficulties grow miracles". Jean De La Bruyere

"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it."
Margaret Thatcher

mamacze
11-19-2005, 09:19 PM
Oh, I haven't been on for a few days and what a wonderful thread to come home to! Your inspirations are beautiful and Maryanne, I often read the one you posted with joy in my heart. Thankyou Al for another great thread.

My sister in law had me in stitches with this visualization every time I have chemo to think of those cancer cells and think "Eat shit and die"! A little crass, but it does put me in charge and with a smile!
Love Kim from CT

sassy
11-20-2005, 08:52 AM
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Sassy
________
Carlatinax live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/Carlatinax)

Ginagce
11-20-2005, 08:58 AM
but here is what comes to mind first about cancer.

Fall down seven times
Stand up eight.
- Japanese Proverb

I will put together some of my other favorites and post them later.