PDA

View Full Version : her2 and avoiding corn oil

panicked911
11-07-2005, 08:22 AM
I spoke with my surgeon today and she said that there have been studies that suggest that avoiding corn oil may alter Her 2 status. has anyone else heard fo this and are their other foods that should definitely be avoided ?

Alice
11-07-2005, 09:39 AM
I've never heard of this and would like to hear more especially for those of us that have limited options. If I find anything I'll report on it.

Thanks

Julie2
11-07-2005, 10:27 AM
There is some info about corn and sunflower oils in submitted articles under the topic Dietary fatty acids.

Julie

margaret
11-07-2005, 12:08 PM
I'd like to just add my concern for harmful effects of corn syrup. I don't know of any scientific studies but I have an intuitive sense that it may have contributed to my her2 tumor. If you look at the ingredients of many packaged foods, you'll see that corn syrup is used very often. It's a cheap sweetener. Before I had cancer I didn't pay attention to what I ate and I look back and realize how much food that I ate that contained corn syrup and/or partially hydrogenated oils. I just have a 'gut' feeling that it contributed to my disease.

Thanks,
Margaret

StephN
11-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Corn oil and other cheap, mass made cooking oils are processed with some things that are really terrible for us, not to mention carcinogenic.
After I found this out, I dumped them all out and for years now have only used cold first press olive oil and other oils like grape seed or canola that do not go through the "bad" processing. Costs a little more, but the food tastes better and I know it IS better for me. That knowledge alone is worth the few cents extra.

(I also try to buy only organic oils.)

The high-fructose corn syrup referenced above is also an additive that can contribute to a body's fat content. We all KNOW this is bad for cancer patients!

panicked911
11-07-2005, 12:22 PM
i was reading margarets response and while I don't disagree about all of the stuff that is in food - I have been a vegetarian for years ( I do eat fish) have not had anythig w/ artificial sweeteners fro 10 years and avoid all foods with partially hydrongenated - have excercised regulary and wear the same size (albeit poportioned different) than i did when i got married 15 years ago and two children later. And yet diagnosised by fluke multifocal her2 +++ er and pr+ and I just turned 44.
It has been almost two months and I still searching for answers - hence the corn oil.

Becky
11-07-2005, 12:27 PM
It is not that corn oil is bad for you it is that it is a high source of Omega 6 and 9. These fatty acids have to be in a low ration to Omega 3s therefore, it is better to use a more neutral oil (like Canola or Olive). Then take into consideration that canola and olive oils are high in oleic acid (which some studies show down regulates Her 2), it adds more health benefits.

It is hard to get the Omega 3s up without the addition of flaxseed or its oil or fish oil tablets because it is only abundant in fatty fishes (halibut, salmon, mackerel), walnuts, flax and they are not foods consistently eaten all the time.

There are some great recent (the last few days) articles posted in the submitted articles section.

Peace

Becky

RhondaH
11-07-2005, 12:30 PM
This is why I cook ONLY w/ olive oil as well as drink a TBS of it a day and I "cook purer" (use VERY little pkged foods and use low sugar not sugar free foods...I'm nervous about artificial sweeteners and would rather have a little sugar than something that will later be found to CAUSE cancer). I know the population is growing, but I can't help but feel that a LOT (though not all) of cancers have to do w/ diet, exercise (or lack of), environment...BOTH of my grandmothers lived to be 91 and died of old age, 1 worked on a farm and the other was a homemaker, but VERY active, they BOTH cooked purer and ate more fruits and veg (those that a lot of people don't like) and there weren't all the pollutants, pesticides etc. there are today. I think of all the fast food and pkg food and can see where the rate of cancer and other diseases will grow. I weighed 195 at dx, I am now at 150 w/ 15 more lbs to go and while I do the breast cancer diet 6 days a week and have 1 cheat day a week, I will NEVER go back to the diet I had before (fast food, candy, chips etc) as NO food tastes better than chemo:)

Rhonda Hoffman

jeff
11-07-2005, 01:05 PM
I'm SO interested in this thread...so thanks to all who have posted in it.

I've read a decent amount about balancing omega 3-6-9 and this is a special challenge for my partner Rachel, because she is vegetarian (vegan) actually. It's particularly hard to get omega 3's--most of the sources are fish, and then there's flaxseed, which some reports claim is estrogenic, so that's not a great idea for her either.

So my question is: does anyone have any info about perilla seed extract? It is from a plant source, seems to be high in omega 3s and I can't find anything suggesting that it's estrogenic.

Thanks for any info...

Jeff

Christine MH-UK
11-07-2005, 03:07 PM
I think that she was probably concerned about corn oil having alot of linoleic acid in it, which may be bad for her2 breast cancers. There's a nice little chart in the articles submitted part that details the effect of various fatty acids on increasing or decreasing her2ness in breast cancer cells in the test tube.

In general, it would seem to be a good idea to stick to olive oil for cooking, since corn, cottonseed, safflower, sunflower oil (and evening primrose oil!) are over half linoleic acid. Flaxseed oil also seems to have a good balance of beneficial fatty acids to linoleic acid and of the non-olive oil cooking oils, canola seems o.k.

lu ann
11-07-2005, 03:48 PM
There is a natural sweetener called stevia that is zero calories and zero glycemic. It is a small green plant that is native to Paraguay. It can be found in health food stores. I have used it and it does not have an after taste. It can be used in both cold and hot foods and can be found in liquid or powdered form.

Blessings, Lu Ann.