PDA

View Full Version : Port for Herceptin

chrislmelb
11-05-2005, 08:31 PM
Hi everyone. I am starting 2 years of Herceptin and am getting a portacath/infusaport(under the skin) put in on Friday. I assumed it would go above my good breast but my nurse friend told me that people find their bra straps rub it and it gets uncomfortable. She said that some women get them inserted next to their breast on the side, sort of below the armpit.
Has anyone got any opinions? I'd appreciate them.
Christine

sassy
11-05-2005, 08:47 PM
Mine is on good breast, not far up enough to be under strap, still in cup area. Haven't had any problems and rarely know it is even there.

Sassy
________
Kids wellbutrin (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/wellbutrin/)

jojo
11-05-2005, 09:29 PM
Hi Christine,

I am not quite sure which kind of port you are referring to. This portcath is shaped round like a quarter (25 cents). The portcath usually is implanted on the good side (never on the same affected side), its location just below the collarbone, about 3 inches down from it.

Like Sassy, I RARELY notice my port is there; it is like almost as if it was part of my natural body.

Good luck!

Daile
11-05-2005, 11:38 PM
Hi chrislmelb,

I have a vital-port which sounds exactly how jojo describes hers.
I had mine put in six weeks ago and have had no problems with it and enjoy it alot more than being an unsuccesful pin cushion. It has taken away that dreaded stress at treatment of wondering which vain will work or hold up.
The port is so unobtrusive in that nobody can tell it is there and I forget that I have it in.

All the best with your port and treatment.

Kind regards,

Daile

Lolly
11-05-2005, 11:40 PM
I have mine just below my collarbone, like JoJo's, and my surgeon set it just to the inside of where my bra strap runs so it doesn't rub at all. Also, it's a more convenient location to access, as you just wear a top with buttons or a zipper and don't have to expose too much of your self in the chemo room. I don't know if it would be very easy to access one under your arm pit, it sounds awkward to me. Just show your surgeon where your bra strap usally lies, and he/she can take it from there.

<3 Lolly

Lyn
11-06-2005, 01:09 AM
Hi, I have had my port for about 5 years now, and just under the surface so mine sticks out, I also put it down to the remaining breast being larger now so the skin is pulled making it protrude. Although it is convenient I have trouble covering it with a lot of my clothes so it is seen most of the time in summer. When I was to have reconstruction of the other breast the reconstruction surgeon whinged about where it was, he said they should be in the arm out of the way and he didn't know why they kept putting them in the chest, I don't know of anyone with it in the arm so I can't comment as to it rubbing, would be concerned if you have had lymph glands removed as to where it was put. Also I was told that it was a simple procedure, that it was but it made me feel unwell for about a week, have no idea why, may just have been me but I have never had a problem with it since day one.

Love & Hugs Lyn

Sandy H
11-06-2005, 02:07 PM
Mine is on the unaffected side below my bra strap. I seldom know its there. Once in a while I will lay just right and know its there. I have heard they do put them else where but I don't know of anyone who has one anywhere else. I have seen lots of porta caths being accessed in the chemo room and they are all in the same location as mine. I have had mine for at least two years and have had the cath flow done twice because they couldn't get a blood return. I also have all my lab work done from my port. It is a simple procedure and most of them are done in radiology but mine was done in the OR as that is where my surgeon insist on doing hers. There is a small risk of punching the lung and she told me I would not die from it and that she is always prepared if that should happen. Her reason for doing them in the OR. It was day surgery and I had not problems. I also have a plastic card to carry in my purse for ID that I do have one and where it is located. hugs, Sandy

CLTann
11-06-2005, 02:52 PM
Hi Gals,

It appears that port is the norm for Herceptin infusion. I will have a class tomorrow and suspect that it will be one of the lessons. I really don't want to have a port. For IV tube once every three weeks, I think I can endure that. What are your advices? I am going to have Herceptin only, no chemo. I will take Arimidex orally.

Ann

Lolly
11-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Hi Ann; you know, if you're only getting Herceptin and no chemo, not having a port is perfectly ok. It's a personal choice. You can always change your mind later.

The reason I got mine was because when I started Herceptin I also started Navelbine, which is notoriously hard on the veins. I've kept it ever since because being Stage IV I bounce on and off chemo and it's just easier for me because my veins are hard to access.

JoanM
11-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Christine,
My port is as JoJo described.
I was aprehensive about having a port inserted into my body, but I am thankful that I did. It is easier for you, beats having to use a vein, it is also easier for the nurses. My port bothered me a little following the procedure to have it inserted but now I hardly think about it and there is no discomfort. There is a cream that you can purchase called Emla and if the port area is tender at first when you have infusions you just put the Emla cream on one hour before you have a treatment and it acts an an anesthetic. I used the cream at first then kept forgetting to use it and now I don't bother with it.
My port is placed high enough up that a bra strap doesn't interfer with it. I have had my port for just over 6 months and it was inserted prior to chemotherapy, and now that I have been approved for Herceptin, which I will be taking it for the next 1 - 2 years, I am grateful to have the port as it does make life easier.
Good Luck & Best Wishes to you.
Joan

dskdrive
11-06-2005, 07:25 PM
I am having only Herceptin for a year. I had a port below my collarbone with chemo but it has been out for 9 months. I chose not to have one put back in. I had it on my treatment side because it would not stay in my chest during installation on the unaffected side. The surgeon said it was due to my anatomy? Herceptin does not seem to affect the veins so you could probably do without a port unless you have a problem getting IV's started. I found the port uncomfortable but not painful.

Roz
11-07-2005, 01:06 AM
My port is in an entirely different area. It is in my upper arm, on the inside.. So it's between the elbow and the armpit, I suppose. i haven't had any problem with it being there, and i have found it easy to access as i just wear loose sleeves and pull them up the day i am receiving Herceptin.

chrislmelb
11-07-2005, 01:40 AM
I saw my trial nurse today and he showed me a model of where and how they put the port in so it seems that between the collarbone and breast is the go. I had my first dose of Herceptin today in the back of my hand as it needed to be today for trial timing. I feel so glad that i feel great and hope to stay like this tomorrow etc. Now i know i can drive to and fro without getting anyone to take me for the Herceptin.
So thanks again everyone for your input
Christine

RhondaH
11-07-2005, 07:22 AM
, BUT it is on the side of the affected breast, just below the collarbone. Radiology put mine in and I was told that they do it as they do an xray prior to the procedure to determine the best location. Mine sticks out, but I lost 45 lbs since dx. I will be on Herceptin until 8/06. Good luck.

Rhonda Hoffman

DeborahNC
11-07-2005, 07:33 AM
I had a port put in a couple of weeks ago by a radiologist. All went very smoothly, I was totally conscious throughout, no pain at all. It did turn out to be in an area that gets rubbed by my bra strap though.

I saw my surgeon the afternoon of having my port emplaced. He was extremely upset that my onc had sent me to a radiologist to have the procedure done rather than him performing it. He's protective of his patients and is the only surgeon in the hospital who does his own mammotomes rather than send them to radiology. Anyway, it caused a huge stir at the cancer center and my onc told me she had to do a lot of grovelling to get my surgeon to forgive her. Personally, I thought the radiologist did a great job and the port works beautifully.

Christine
11-07-2005, 08:06 AM
Hi Christine
I had when I first started with A/C an arm port put in. It was necessary to protect my veins from the harm of this type of toxic chemo. It was fine for 5 months, then the line began to break away and it ended up in my chest all curled up near my cardio pulmonary arteries. It was a very unpleasant ordeal to have it removed via a fishing line and hook going up through the groin down near my right thigh. It ended up okay after a few tries and heart flutters the 2nd Doctor finally caught the line and dragged it out.
Although this may not happen to you if your careful at any location. Make sure you're comfortable and can move about with the port as easy as you can.
I have never had another port put in for Herceptin or Taxol. I was told it would not be neceassary, and also I have very palpable veins and easy to reach.
It's been over 6 1/2 yrs w/o a port and only taking Herceptin every 3 weeks.

Lf you have veins not easily located then a port will make it easier for you.
Good question , I hope I helped to answer the port delema decision.
Hugs and Well Wishes, Christine

I

Liz*L
11-07-2005, 09:49 AM
Hi Ann,
I had my port removed after 4 AC treatments in Apr 05, I was put on Herceptin in Nov 05, every 3 weeks for 1-2 yrs. It was highly recommended that I have a port put back in because the veins in my good arm were not great. Everyone including my ONC tried to convince me to do it, so far as saying if I didn't I may not be able to have the Herceptin treatment without it. I truely did not want to put the port back in. I found it uncomfortable, protruding and had an occassional flicking sensation in the middle of my chest. Other than that it really did work fine, blood work was a snap and the treatment process a breeze. I have had three treatments now without the port and I am happy with the decision I made. It is important that we all make our decisions based on what is right for us, we are the ones living with it. All we can do is get the facts and follows our hearts! Have faith in yourself, you will make the right decision.
Liz

mts
11-07-2005, 01:26 PM
I have a pediatric size port. Barely visible. I had it placed for my chemo and now use it for Herceptin. Its 5 finger widths below my collerbone. The bra strap is a smidge off the side of it. I don't even know its there and nobody else either.
You do not need to be petit or slim to get a pediatric port... I'm not!

Maria

janet/FL
11-07-2005, 10:33 PM
I want to add that it is easy to make sure that the port does not go under the bra strap. Take a Sharpie permanent (it washes off) marker and mark where your bar straps are with your bra on. I did it right as I was undressing for surgery. One of the nurses had suggested it.

I had day surgery. I have good veins, but the IV's affected the nerve in my arm. I hated the IV's and blood draws. I had trouble moving around, going to the restroom, etc. wtih all the tubs hanging out. Now I can take a walk if I want to! Well, not outside.

My port sticks out and the line over the port shows. I, for the most part, ignore it but if getting dressed up, try to cover it like with a scarf. The tubbing rubs the seatbelt and bothers me when I drive. (It is on the left side, cancer on the right) But so far, I think the positive out-weighs the negatives.
Wishing you the best,
Janet

jojo
11-07-2005, 11:09 PM
I was told (or heard? I was shell-shocked at first DX) that a port should not go on the affected side, due to radiation, 'unblocked' areas on the affected side for any kind of possible treatments (recon, surgery, etc).

How many of you have the port on the affected side?

I am the opposite, and my port doesn't bother me now than before.

Cindi
11-08-2005, 11:26 AM
I initially asked to have my port placed on my affected side. The surgeon declined, stating the same reasons as some of the replies above. I have had it in for 1 1/2 years now and it causes me NO problems. It is placed strategically below my collarbone on my "unaffected" side and I never have any trouble with bra straps.

Unregistered
11-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Hello there! I have my port in my arm on the opposite side. It is located on the inside against my body-halfway between my underarm and elbow. It was put in for weekly herceptin infusions. I think the location is great-it never bothers me or catches on anything, except the occasional tight sleeve. I'm not sure why some women have the chest ports? Only the arm port was recommended for me. Good Luck with yours!

Ginagce
11-09-2005, 05:00 PM
Hi. I had been fighting getting a port put in since I was diagnosed and my treatment schedule was determined.

I went through chemo without a port and toward the end, it was a hunt and peck situation with lots of misses.

I too am on herceptin every 3 weeks for a year of more. I got my port last month and I'm now so very glad I did.

It's about 3 inches below my collar bone. It doesn't bother me at all and like most of the comments, I forget it's there.

Good luck to you whichever way you choose to go.