PDA

View Full Version : Novalis radiation for my lung mets

Patty H
11-04-2005, 01:15 PM
I am getting ready to start novalis radiation for my one large lung met. It doubled in size on my break from chemo. My oncologist had me see this Dr. who does novalis. Novalis, is a medical device that uses highly precise beams of radiation, to reduce the size or destroy a tumor, by damaging the DNA of the tumor. With novalis the radiation beams are shaped to match the exact shape of the tumor.I'm feeling really overwhelmed at this point. I thought I would have 10 or less treatments and maybe all in just 5 days. That is the way they do it a lot of times. But because I have had radiation already 3 times they can't give me the high doses, so I have to go everyday Monday through Friday for 6 1/2 weeks!! That means driving 50 miles there and 50 back everyday and my husband works so I will have to get friends to go with me. So right now I am feeling a little over whelmed. I go Monday and they will make this body like cast thing for me to lay in when I have my treatments and they will do 3 c-scans while laying in the body cast. I will let you all know how this works out. Patty H

Becky
11-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Patty

I will be thinking of you. Bring great music - the tunes you love best and sing in the car there and back. Play it really loud and play the songs you love over and over again.

Peace

Becky

Unregistered
11-04-2005, 05:01 PM
Patty,
Good luck and yes, listen to your favorite tunes. I found it soothing.
Take care,
Carol

Lolly
11-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Patty, I'll be thinking about you and sending positive thoughts your way. I know you hate to put your friends out, but really, they're probably so happy to be able to do something concrete to help you. I think our friends and families often feel like helpless bystanders, and don't mind helping when we need them.

<3 Lolly

pattyz
11-05-2005, 08:11 AM
Patty, this seems like a huge commitment of time and energy, doesn't it? I would have the same type of drive if I were in your shoes.

I tried to think of a way to deal with it mentally and came up with this: If I had a chance of a 'lifetime dream come true/fantasy' OR if one of my kids needed me to do this, I'd do it in a heartbeat without a backward glance....... and I'd keep that in mind the whole 6 1/2 weeks.

Hoping this rad schedule does a number on your lung mets!!! And doesn't do too much of a 'number' on you, hon...
hugs,
pattyz