PDA

View Full Version : Herceptin and dental check-up

Unregistered
11-02-2005, 09:31 AM
Hi everybody-just a real quick question from me, the worrywart. I finished A/C in July and am now on Herceptin every week(and have a mini port). Is it ok to go for a dental cleaning. Do I need to take antibiotics prior to a dental visit? I appreciate your responses very much(even more than my doctors-haha). Thanks and take care!

StephN
11-02-2005, 11:34 AM
Hi -
Good question as there is always the risk of infection in the case of more extensive dental work.
If you are just going in for a routine cleaning, and your white count is getting back close to normal, there should be no problem. Just mention to the nurse when you make your appointment that you have been on chemotherapy, but are off now and want to come in for a checkup and cleaning.

If, at the time of checkup, the need for further work is noted, then your dentist will make recommendations for precautions.

One more thing - when on chemo, there is always some bone loss. This can be reflected in your jaw and gums. Your dentist may have some suggestion of things to do or take to strengthen them.

anne
11-03-2005, 01:21 PM
Hi There,

I am a dentist and I would give my patients antibiotics prior to cleaning due to your port. It also depends on if the Herceptin are affecting your white counts. Take some antibio-prophylaxis Amoxicillin 2g 1 hour prior to your appointment. Your dentist should be able to prescribe it to you. Good luck.
Anne

StephN
11-04-2005, 01:27 AM
on the rationale for antibiotics because of having a port. I have had the same one in for 5 years now.
I have not had antibiotics for routine exam and cleaning. I had to take some antibiotics with Taxotere and from time to time for other problems, so do not like to take them if I can at all help it.

anne
11-04-2005, 06:56 AM
Hi Steph,

We learn that many conditions will require antibiotics prior to routine dental procedures that induce bleeding so that the bacteria from your mouth don't travel into your bloodstream and seed an infection in your port. This is the case for someone who had a recent hip replacement, has a serious heart murmur, is on dialysis. The port provides direct entry to your veins and we need to make sure that we don't seed it with bacteria when we clean your teeth. It is just a precaution. You know that having trouble with a port is a real mess. One of my patients had an infection and had it removed and had to have the area surgically debrided 2 times in order to get rid of the infection.
Hope that helps.
Anne

Sheila
11-04-2005, 06:57 AM
I was told to take antibiotics before any invasive procedure, dental cleanings, dental work etc., but I do this for Mitral Valve Prolapse....it is good to check with your Dr. as dental work is an easy way to induce bacteria into the blood stream, & the bacteria usually goes to the heart if it is weakened.

Lolly
11-04-2005, 10:15 PM
My dentist always has me take amoxicillin 1 hour before my appointment, even if it's just a routine cleaning.
<3 Lolly