PDA

View Full Version : Glutamine B6 to control neuropathy?

doh2pa
10-31-2005, 11:41 AM
Hi All,

I am 3 treatments into an 18 treatment regimen of abraxane (taxol like drug) and carboplatin. I am starting to get some pain in my feet and was wondering if any of you who have had peripheral neuropathy used glutamine and B6 to any success? I've also read that some think glutamine might protect the tumor from the cytotoxic effects of chemotherapy.
I am trying to stay ahead of side effects but don't want to jeopardize my therapy. I would appreciate any anecdotal (or scientific) evidence you could give.

Donna

Lisa
10-31-2005, 12:16 PM
I have no scietific evidence. Just me. My onc recommended 5 grams of L-Glutamine and 50-100 milligrams of B6 daily when I was on Navelbine. It definitely helped the neuropathy, although my problem was numbness, not pain.

Love and light,

Lisa

Sandy H
10-31-2005, 02:29 PM
My experience with glutamine powder is that it does help me but still have neuropathy. Mine is mostly burning and some numbness. I was told to use 3 grams a day and 100 mgs. of B6. hugs, Sandy

StephN
10-31-2005, 03:19 PM
Hi -
Yes the glutemine and B6 helped me a lot. For my first line treatment I had Adriamycin and then Taxotere. Six months later I had rampant mets and we put on Taxol and Navelbine for 27 weekly treatments.

At this point I have almost no problem with my feet and only a little numbness at the ends of my fingers.

There was no mention to me that taking the Glutemine might interfere with the work of the chemo drugs. And it must not have as I am in remission for more than three years.

All the best!

doh2pa
11-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Thanks Lisa, Sandy and Steph,

I'm so glad to hear some real world advice. I will discuss with my onc. This is such a great site for useful advice (and comfort). Good health to you all!

Donna