PDA

View Full Version : HER2 perfume campaign opportunity

sarah
10-28-2005, 12:52 AM
Dear Board Members,

What a golden opportunity!!! If I may be so bold as to suggest something that you probably have already thought about and already decided for or against, I suggest contacting Victoria Secret’s advertising agency (or agencies since they probably have more than one) and making an ally of them. After all VS has spent tens of millions of dollars on this campaign and (the ad agency got several million doing it) and the ad agency and VS I’m sure are mortified by this blunder. So I suggest the most charming, smooth talking board member approaches the ad agency and explains the blunder and says “I know how to help you (the ad agency) and make VS look great!” maybe not those exact words but something like that.

Anyway, all corporations are obsessed with image and here’s how you can help and VS and their ad agency can make money while doing good – now that’s irresistible! They also will have a publicity company that can be approached but generally the ad agency knows how to get the big bucks!

Work to get funding for an HER2 foundation – think BIG! What ever amount of money you think of, triple it! VS probably has a department for charities already that is set up to give away “image enhancing” money (most corporations do) but I’m not sure they are the best first route to go. Your foundation would educate, help with financing, publicize, and do whatever good you can think of, etc. etc. (and I’m sure you could bring Genetech and Roche in to help once it’s up or about to get up and running). Dream big.

Whomever you approach, go to the top person. Also when you get to the top executive’s assistant, make her (or him) your ally. More than likely that person has been working with the VP or President for years and has an easy going relationship with that executive so they can help you get the meeting and help with the best approach.

It might be good to have the number of HER2 positive people around the world. If ¼ to 1/3 of breast cancer cases have HER2, that’s a lot of people. Genetech might have a number – in fact they probably have a good tip sheet since they want to sell their drug to as many people as possible. And cancer is no longer the disease in the closet thanks to pink ribbons and revlon/komen, etc.

Back to VS, I’m once again at a disadvantage living in a small village in the south of France so haven’t seen the ad. Perhaps someone could scan it and put it on the site for those of us living in the boonies!

Remember, just because we have HER2 doesn’t mean we’re not sexy! I know some people on the site are really offended and I respect their feelings but I say “go for the money” for all of us. You can do a lot of good with their money. They should be able to give a nice size amount to start the foundation – say a couple of million or more, and a small % of the perfume sales. The ad agency will make a % so will be motivated to ask for a lot of money and the corporation is used to giving the agency lots of money so it should be easy. When I say “easy” I mean relatively speaking, getting money is never simple but this is a set-up!

So go get the money!

Good luck.

Sarah

TriciaK
10-28-2005, 06:21 PM
Hi Sarah! I wrote a reply to your post yesterday, but I guess it is lost in cyberspace somewhere. I think it's a really great idea, even brilliant, and I hope someone in the know like maybe Joe and Christine or some of the ladies more knowledgeable than I will carry it out. If someone doesn't follow up on your idea, I hope you'll post it again! Hugs, Tricia

Becky
10-28-2005, 06:33 PM
I would gladly follow up (as I am STILL waiting for them to answer my email). However, I would like an opinion from Joe on the best route, what to ask for and who they should donate to. I am sure I would want someone to proof the letter (all of you). At least, in the meantime, I will find out who the CEO/President is (since this is who the letter should be sent to).

This really is the best idea - thank you Sarah.

Have a good weekend

Becky

sarah
10-29-2005, 01:52 AM
Glad you liked the idea. As I said, why not shoot for the moon??? Go to set up a foundation - now that will be work and I know there are two or maybe more types and one of the ones that's tax free or tax deductible is very complicated (tax filing and donations wise) but I know there are simpler ones. I'm here in France so wouldn't know where to turn but I'm sure there's someone out there who has experience - maybe someone at the Susan Komen foundation could advise not only on how to set one up and how to run it but also how to get the money. You may want to check if on-line they have a "mission" statement and add some of that idea to yours since you have some overlapping but different purposes.
Also don't forget that the best way may be to go through their advertising agency since I really believe if you get them on board, you get the money! Don't be put off by what commission they may want just bargain and remember they'll have to put a presentation together and then approach the corporation which hopefully already has a charity branch set up to fund things - timing may be good because I think often the end of the year/start of the year is when things get funded. At the very least you could set up some conferences all over the USA - maybe the world - that would enable women and families to learn about HER2 and the breakthroughs and meet other people with this disease.
Good luck.
Sarah
PS do you know of any celebs who are HER2? Might be good to get them on board also.