PDA

View Full Version : Encouragement/ and need to know about her2 positive after one year or more

Ernestine
10-27-2005, 12:26 PM
I was 4 months pregnant and diagnosed in 1979 with invasive carcinoma that had not spread to the lymph nodes. I had a lumpectomy in 9/79 and could not have chemo or radiation since i was pregnant. My beautiful baby girl was born in 3/80 healthy. In December 2003 cancer came back in the same breast, but this time it was her2 positive. Since it was caught in its early stage it had not spread to the lymph nodes. I had a lumpectomy, chemo and radiation. My doctor has now informed me that I should take herceptin treatments for one year. I am not comfortable with this since I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol, which I am now taking medication for both. Is there someone who have had this treatment after being cancer free for this amount of time or longer? What were the side effects?

StephN
10-27-2005, 10:16 PM
Hello -
Great story about your healthy baby born during your first go round with breast cancer.
It appears that your doctor is just following the new treatments that are now authorized by the FDA for HER2 positive patients.

We have many women active on this web site who take Herceptin and have some of the same other health issues as you have. They seem to get along just fine as the Herceptin does not affect your cholesteral and should not have any affect on your blood pressure. There is not normally a problem with drug interaction with Herceptin.
I have taken this drug for 4 years now and I have no problems with my heart or blood pressure. I will be 57 on my next birthday. And I owe my life to this drug.
You will hear from some other posters soon.

Barbara2
10-28-2005, 07:10 AM
Hi,
I would agree with Steph that your doctor is suggesting you receive the best treatment possible to keep the cancer from coming back, and Herceptin has become the standard treatment of care today for those who are Her2+.

I too, am on a cholesterol medication. Lipitor. I am taking Herceptin now, and the other medication does not interfere at all. If you were concerned, you could stop it for one year while you take the Herceptin. I did that during chemotherapy, then started the Lipitor again when finished.

You could ask the Dr. who gives you the blood pressure meds what he knows about patients that take that during treatment. I think the blood pressure drugs may be more of a problem during chemo treatments, but Herceptin is not chemo. I was taking meds for svt's (rapid heart rate) during chemo, and that did cause some problems.

The doctors can help you make the best choice.

All the best to you......

mamacze
10-28-2005, 09:03 AM
Hi Ernestine,

Your doctor is follow the most current protocol...I have been on Herceptin since May 2004 and like Steph, I owe my life to this drug. I have had many scans and have had absolutely no problem with it. Read the literature on it; and speak to a cardiologist; it seems like high cholesteral shouldn't make a difference; the high blood pressure, I don't know, but certainly an informed cardiologist can advise you.
Love Kim from CT