PDA

View Full Version : Destined for reoccurance?

Geralyn
10-13-2005, 09:21 PM
I found a lump 9/9/04 in my armpit. It grew fast and was removed. What 4 different doctors thought was lymphoma was BC. Her2 +++ estrogen neg. progesterone 10%. Couldn't find the primary - might be primary grew into lymph node and they got it all. Did 4 tx a/c and 4 taxol. 14 nodes removed all negative. 33 rad tx. Now on Herceptin tx 7 of 17 (every three weeks). All tests done prior to the removal of the initial lymph node were negative. But in reading and listening to other patients at treatment I see Her2 repeaters. Am I destined to have reoccurance because I am Her2 positive? I have so much to be thankiful for, but I'm unclear about some aspects of being Her2 positive. Blessings to you all.

Sheila
10-14-2005, 07:06 AM
Geralyn
It sounds as though you are getting excellent treatment....the Her2 positive seems to make for a more aggressive cancer, which many times leads to a more aggressive treatment....none of us knows who will recur & who wont....the Herceptin should help prevent recurrence, but we must be our own best advocate & be observant to any changes in our body...do not let it consume you, just be observant...even if a person has a recurrence, early detection is the key to treating it....
Hugs
Sheila

Geralyn
10-14-2005, 07:21 PM
Sheila - Thank you for your sound advice. I'm new on this battlefront. From one nurse to another it feels so different to be on this side of the table. I was a pediatric nurse for 30 years before this all happened. I didn't know much about BC till now. My medical mind is often a negative in thinking the worst. People say everything will be okay -- I know too well that not much is predictable. It's hard to let go and let God.......I will continue to be vigilent, but I need to resume life and living. Blessings and Hugs. Geralyn

al from Canada
10-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Geralyn,
There are many things you can do yourself to reduce the chances of reoccurance such as taking oive oil, which is synergistic with herceptin; curcumin which is a cancer fighter on its own; anti-oxidants; IP6 and an adaptogen such as ginsen or rhodiola rosea; and CO-Q0 for cardio protection. Watch your diet and lead a heathy lifestyle and remember that worry causes stress and stress causes disease.
Regards,
Al

Lyn
10-15-2005, 04:18 AM
Hi Geralyn, what convinced the docs that it was BC? Many types of C are still HER+, even guys, my onc tests everyone who has a biopsy. Have you had an MRI or PET scan?

Hugs Lyn

Geralyn
10-15-2005, 07:49 AM
Lyn - I had every test imaginable - PET, MRI with breast coil, compression mammo's, breast biopsy which was benign, ultrasounds, bone scans, CT scans, everything negative. Three pathology reports from three different labs concurred that it was of breast origin. A pathologist at Vanderbilt (world renowned) looked at it personally and said that the node removed may have been the primary grown into the secondary. It was grade 3......I feel that enough evidence points to breast cancer (they call it occult BC). And thank you Al for the info on supplements - I am just now beginning to look to add arsenal to be able to fight this. Blessings and Hugs Geralyn