PDA

View Full Version : CT Scan Prep...Whoaaaaaa

Sheila
10-11-2005, 05:30 AM
Just wondering if anyone has had some "new" prep for the CT scans lately....I have always had to drink a few glasses (small) of a clear liquid contrast, but yesterday I was given 2 supersized glasses of an iced tea looking substance....& within minutes of the 2nd glass I broke all speed records to find a restroom....& this scenario continued for 7 hours...with time to slide in the CT, a bone scan & my q 3 wk Herceptin Rx. It made the ride home from Chicago similard to the Indy 500, I was always looking for a pit stop...I questioned the techs, & they said I was given the right prep....(not in my book!)....on the bright side, I believe I can now fit into pants I haven't worn for a year!
Hugs
Sheila

Deborah Phaed
10-11-2005, 06:25 AM
I know about that! No one told me beforehand what that prep would do and it went on for a day afterward. Once I got on the CT table I had to jump up to 'go' one more time before they could get me inside.

Sheila
10-11-2005, 06:32 AM
Deborah

I know the feeling!!!!!!!!!!!
Hugs
Sheila

MCS
10-11-2005, 10:06 AM
I was given the glucose test, a chalkie soothie and then the iodine. I did go to the bathroom a lot

However, the iodine BURNED more than the typical 5 seconds. I had to yell to to stop.

Anyone else had this reaction with the iodine?

Any alternatives?

thanks

MCS

Kim in CA
10-11-2005, 11:46 AM
After having many CTs with iodine contrast and never a problem, about 3 years ago I developed an alergic reaction to it. I was laying on the table and as soon as they injected the iodine contrast I got the normal hot feeling flushing through my body, but then I started to sneeze uncontrolably and my eyes started swelling, and my throat started constricting (very scary!) They immediately injected some benadryl and things started to settle down. Now they always premedicate me with the benadryl when I need a scan.

Kim