Arthritis & Rheumatism News Alert

Recent evidence suggests caution in prescribing
hormone therapy for breast cancer and sheds new light on “menopausal arthritis”

One of the most effective new treatments for
breast cancer is a hormone therapy. Aromatase
inhibitors work by powerfully blocking the
conversion of androgen precursors into estrogens,
which lowers estradiol levels in the bloodstream
and estrogen levels in peripheral tissues.
Because aromatase inhibitors reduce the rates of
recurrence in women with early-stage
postmenopausal breast cancer, these agents are
not only becoming widely used in breast cancer
treatment, but also being explored for their
potential to prevent the disease in women at high
risk. While focusing on this therapy's promise,
advocates have tended to downplay one of its
drawbacks. Women treated with aromatase
inhibitors often experience joint pain and
musculoskeletal aching*severe enough, in some
cases, to make them stop the treatment.

Two noted researchers, David T. Felson, M.D., of
Boston University Clinical Epidemiology Unit, and
Steven R. Cummings, M.D., of California Pacific
Medical Center Research Institute and University
of California, San Francisco, have thoroughly
examined the evidence linking aromatase
inhibitors and, more broadly, estrogen
deprivation joint pain. In the September 2005
issue of Arthritis & Rheumatism (
http://www.interscience.wiley.com/journal/arthritis),
they share their insights to alert oncologists,
primary care physicians, and other health care
professionals to this widely overlooked, potential problem for women.

“Estrogen's effects on inflammation within the
joint are not well known,” Dr. Felson and Dr.
Cummings observe. Yet, as they note, estrogen has
well-established tissue-specific effects on
inflammatory cytokines. Estrogen's role in joint
inflammation could account for the increased
sensitivity to pain that some women suffer with
estrogen depletion. Citing studies of
pharmacological suppression of estrogen and
studies of natural menopause, the authors offer a
look at compelling evidence associating estrogen
deprivation with joint pain, including:

• Aromatase inhibitors have been linked to
higher rates of joint and muscle pain than
tamoxifen and placebo in various clinical trials
for breast cancer treatment and prevention. One
example: In a National Cancer Institute of Canada
study, 5,187 postmenopausal women who completed a
5-year course of tamoxifen therapy for breast
cancer were randomized to a further 5 years
receiving the aromatase inhibitor letrozole or a
placebo. 21 percent of women taking letrozole
reported joint pain compared with 16 percent of the women receiving placebo.

• In a study of leuprolide, a hormonal agent
used to treat infertility and a variety of
gynecological disorders, 102 premenopausal women
experienced symptoms of estrogen deprivation,
such as vaginal dryness, after 2 weeks of
treatment, and suffered joint pain between weeks
3 and 7 of treatment. Overall, 25 percent of the
women developed persistent joint pain, affecting
the knees, elbows, ankles, and other areas,
during the study. The pain was resolved in all
women between 2 and 12 weeks after stopping the leuprolide therapy.

• In a postmenopausal estrogen/progestin
intervention trial, women who received estrogen
had a significantly decrease chance of
musculoskeletal symptoms*between 32 and 38
percent*compared with women randomly assigned
placebo. Symptoms reported in the placebo group
included joint pain, muscle stiffness, and skull
and neck aching. In other studies, however,
estrogen replacement therapy had no beneficial effect on musculoskeletal pain.

Dr. Felson and Dr. Cummings also highlight recent
data showing that Asian women undergoing
menopause have lower estradiol levels than
Caucasian women and seem to be more vulnerable to
a syndrome commonly known as “menopausal
arthritis.” They also note the high rate of both
osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis in
postmenopausal women. They conclude by stressing
the need for further research into the
contribution of estrogen deficiency to arthritis,
as well as for recognizing the risks of
musculoskeletal syndrome when prescribing
aromatase inhibitors and other estrogen-depleting treatments.

# # #

Article: “Aromatase Inhibitors and the Syndrome
of Arthralgias With Estrogen Deprivation,” David
T. Felson and Steven R. Cummings, Arthritis &
Rheumatism, September 2005; 52:9; pp. 2594-2598.

Lyn
10-10-2005, 01:06 AM
I have just come off Aromasin after 2 years without a break, it certainly worked as an eostrogen blocker for me because I had to have my PAP smear redone it showed abnormal cells, so now my smears are done after 1 week of eostrogen cream Ovastin, and they come back normal. It is no wonder I have felt like crap, not only do I have a connective tissue disorder which I have had for about 15 years now, along with fibromyalgia, it attacks all of my healthy cell and causes joint pain, along with my left collapsed shoulder which needs reconstructing and now my right shoulder blade has come away from the chest wall, may have been from radiation, I don't really know,I have apparently had the added pain with the eostrogen blocker, I think it won't be long before I just throw my hands up in the air and just say take me, I fall into the category of Murphy's Law in medicine, if it is going to happen to anyone it will be me. I am on liquid morphine with my new complaint, Ordine, it works but I feel like it could become addictive. The other thing with the eostrogen blocker, I do not recommend just stopping cold turkey, from my experience I became very hormonal, with that came the deep dark depression, I am a basically strong person and it pulled me down, so it would be dangerous for some to have to deal with that as well as the disease.

Cheers Lyn

mamacze
10-10-2005, 05:25 AM
Jojo,
Thank you for sharing this article; i have had unbelievable joint pain...this absolutely sheds some light for me and I am sure many others.!
Love Kim from CT

Kim in CA
10-11-2005, 11:34 AM
I was thrown into menopause 8 years ago after my stem cell transplant at age 42. Then if that wasn't bad enough,4 years later, when I had my first recurrence, it was recomended that I go on Femara because even though I was less than 10% ER+, the doc thought it might be helpful.

Anyway, I feel like I have really aged not having that estrogen(Don't even like to look in the mirror anymore!) and the aches in my joints were terrible. I have been taking the joint supplements Glucosamine and Chondroitin and I can really feel a difference. Just FYI, I used to see these supplements in all my horse magazines and catalogs long before they were available for sale for human use. Now they are available everywhere and there was even a book called The Arthritis Cure out several years ago, that talked about using them. These supplements help replace the synovial fluid in the joints and help to rebuild cartilage. They also help with inflamation.

I am a total believer in this supplement! I currently feed it to our 23 year old horse who has very stiff joints and it keeps her very comfortable. When she goes without it for even a couple of days she starts to get gimpy. I also feed it to our 11 years old springer spaniel that we adopted last year who had such bad arthritis she was on Rimadyl twice a day. She no longer takes the Rimadyl and is doing fine! My husband also takes it because he had such bad arthritis in his wrist from having broken it twice, and having surgery on it to remove bone spurs that were causing terrible pain. At the time the surgeon told him he would have to get the wrist fused in about 5-6 years because he basically had no cartilage left and the pain would start to get worse again. That was over 10 years ago and he still hasn't had to get it fused.

Boy, I sound like a commercial, I know, but I just wanted to share how much it has helped our family. It gets a little expensive feeding it to so many of us, but I have seen first hand the difference it makes and feel it is soooo worth it! I have always been a very physically active person and this helps me to keep at it, which I feel is so important in fighting this disease.

It might not work for everbody, but all my friends who have started using it, have been very pleased.

Best Regards, Kim

StephN
10-11-2005, 12:09 PM
Hey Kim -
You may think you sound like a commercial - but this is from "real life."

I, too, am a great believer in the supplements Glucosimine and Chondroitin. I have one that combines the two agents so only one capsule.

First heard about it some 10 years ago from a friend whose hubby was taking it on recommendation of his dentist for his gums. It really did help them noticeably in about 6 week's time. So, I started taking it for my left shoulder that had gotten "frozen" and I was doing physical therapy for. This was after a cortisone shot that only helped to a certain point.

My med onc said no problem to take during my treatments and I think it helped. Even though the Taxotere made be feel like I had been struck by a Mac truck, I think it would have been worse without that supplement.

I also think staying on this through my mets treatment of weekly Taxol AND navelbine for 27 treatments helped lessen the neuropathy I otherwise would have had. This as well as the L-Glutomine, folic acid and Vit B6.

Great stuff for old cats, too!

Geralyn
10-13-2005, 09:34 PM
I have an appointment next week because I have such bad joint discomfort. I feel like I've aged 20 years!!! The article was helpful and I'm out tomorrow to get the Glucosimine and Chondroitin - it's worth a try by the sounds of it!!! Thanks so much!

mamacze
10-14-2005, 05:49 AM
Girls,
Thank you for another great tip; is there a certain brand that is better than the others? Is there a way to get it so it is "fresh"?
Love Kim

Kim in CA
10-14-2005, 09:14 AM
Kim,

I have been using Kirkland brand from Costco and it works just as well as the big name brands. I use the extra strength formula because you only have to take 2 caps a day instead of 3 to get the recommended dosage. I recently tried a new formula from Schiff called Lubriflex(also available at Costco) because it has Hyaluronic acid in it. I was curious about the Hyaluronic acid because I know it has been used successfully by veterinarians for years in the treatment of joint problems in performance horses. I really like this product too and it really does do what it claims, but is more expensive than the Kirkland brand. I have been currently taking one Kirkland tab in the AM and one Lubriflex in the PM and feel that works best for me. I also noticed since I started taking the Lubriflex, that if I miss a day or two, I don't notice it as much, so I'm thinking maybe the Hyaluronic acid stays in your system a bit longer.

All I can say is it sure is nice not to wake up aching all over anymore! I used to feel like I was 100 years old when I first got out of bed in the morning. My joints in my feet even hurt! So even though I look older than I am, at least I don't feel like it!!!!!!!!

Love, Kim

mamacze
10-14-2005, 05:01 PM
Dear Kim,
I am in awe that you can hop out of bed in the morning and not feel like a creaky old woman! I am printing your note as we speak and will run to Sam's in the morning to try out your formula. Hazard a guess; how long will it take before it works?!
Love Kim from CT

Kim in CA
10-15-2005, 04:52 PM
Dear Kim,

With the glucosamine and chondroitin, I think it took about 2 weeks before I really noticed anything. Then when I started taking the Lubriflex which has the glucosamine and hyaluronic acid I seemed to notice even further improvement almost right away. As I said, the Lubriflex is more expensive than the Kirkland brand chondroitin and glucosamine, so I compromised, and take the Kirkland in the morning and the Lubriflex at night! I also like the idea that I'm getting all 3 of the ingredients that help to repair joints that way. I have not yet seen anything on the market that combines all 3 ingredients in one pill, but I imagine it will be more expensive if one of the big drug companies comes out with it. I always try the generics when ever I can find them and so far, I've been pleased.

Happy hunting! Love Kim