PDA

View Full Version : anyone on Abraxane?

Cathy
10-05-2005, 08:32 AM
I'm looking to compare some side effects of Abraxane. I just had my first infusion last week. Every inch of my body hurt like crazy from day 2-5. Now it's day 7 and the numbness has started in my hands.

Is anyone on weekly doses? Does that work well for you?

I have been on AC, Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin, Navelbine/herceptin (failed that).

My BC has progressed to my lungs (at mets dx it was in my spine, right pleura, liver).
Cathy

mickey
10-05-2005, 09:51 AM
I was warned that the neuropathy (numbness) is worse on Abraxane than any other taxane. I started taking a tiny, tiny bit of glutamin 3 times a day and have not been bothered by that. I do get the body aches, but I like to think that the walking I do helps.
Hope it goes better.
Mickey

mickey
10-05-2005, 09:52 AM
Oh!!!! I am on 3 week dose.
Mickey

IRENE FROM TAMPA
10-06-2005, 04:50 AM
Hi Cathy -

I am at the end of my third course with Abraxane. It seems there are not that many of us out there yet on it, but good reports.

I opted for the once a week for three weeks and then one week off. My onc. felt (as I did) that since I have had so many chemo's and also a stem cell transplant (original cancer in 1996) that spreading it out at a lower dose might be helpful on my counts. So far I have not had to miss any and my counts have not been too bad. After my first treatment I did experience some pain (like little shock waves to my nerve endings all around my abdomin) Best way I can describe. That stopped after second treatment. I am just now getting some numbness in my finger tips but nothing drastic. If I feel tired or down it usually is within the first three days and then I am fine. It's never the same. This last treatment I felt fine the whole time and my whites/reds were great. The thing that reminds me the most that I am on chemo (aside from losing my hair) is the waxy/dry taste in my mouth. My taste buds of course having been affected. Other then that it has not been too bad.

My tumor markers dropped alot after my second course. I go to see my onc. after my third treatment and re-do markers. Hopefully since declining.

Best of luck to you and please keep me posted on your progress. I have been trying to keep in contact with those on Abraxane and like I mentioned, there are not that many at this time. I am sure it is the next chemo in line for most.
I feel it is better tolerated then Taxol or Taxiere.

Cathy
10-06-2005, 05:49 AM
Irene,

Thanks for replying to my post. I know I am the first one from my onc's 2 practices to be on Abraxane. I was on Taxotere/carboplatin about 18 months ago and didn't have as many side effects. I think, like you, that I will request 3 weeks on/1 week off. At this point, quality of life is important to me. I want to be able to feel my fingers and not have serious pain in my feet. I hope my tumor markers drop as well! My CEA was over 600, and my other two had gone up pretty significantly. I had an 8 week "vacation" from chemo and my CEA was 135 at the beginning of it. I have to say, I feel the worst of all my chemos on this one. I don't know it that's because I've had so much, or what. It would be nice if it was a "sign" that it's working well.
Did you start on the 3 weeks on/1 week off or switch to it. When did you loose your hair?
Cathy

Sandy H
10-06-2005, 06:55 AM
I asked to go on abraxane where I had been on taxol. Because I was already experincing neuropathy in my hands and feet he said, "no way." Abraxane is worse then Taxol for neuropathy. He said it would decrease my quality of life so much more. We are looking for something else to replace the Taxol now. My oncologist said he could literally kill my hands and feet with the neuropathy to the point where I would not be able to feed myself. Sure is scarely. I am sure you don't have to worry about it for a while unless you are noticing lots of pain, burning and numbness. Make sure you tell your doctor this. Good luck, hugs, Sandy

mickey
10-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Sandy, I am on Abraxane, once every 3 weeks. I have never felt better, other than the 5 days after dose. I walk for an hour , 5 days a week and playtennis twice a week.
Mickey

Unregistered
10-06-2005, 08:38 AM
I had 4 treatments of Abraxane every two weeks. I never had any side effects at all. opps one time I did have diahreah.

IRENE FROM TAMPA
10-07-2005, 06:26 PM
TO CATHY -To answer your question, I started off with the every three weeks, one week off. I suggested to the doctors and she agreed and now she wants to keep it that way since I seem to be tolerating it so well.

I just had my third treatment of my third course today. To my surprise my whites and reds were great. And to boot my hemoglobin is still at 11.5. My plateletts which have been very low for the last 6 1/2 yrs while on Herceptin, are now in the 160's. I am wondering now if the Herceptin was keeping them down.? I don't know but I will ask my onc on my next visit.

I see her in a week to recheck my markers. Will let you all know.

I lost my hair pretty quickly - around two weeks after starting the treatment. I have but fuzz right now.

TO MICKEY - It is good to hear that you are also tolerating the Abraxane so well. Keep it up and let me know how you are doing.

TO SANDY - I am sorry that you could not take the Abraxane. A friend of mine had alot of trouble with neurapathy also and she has to stay away from the Taxane's. Good luck to you

Take care ladies and keep posting.

Lyn
10-09-2005, 04:06 AM
Here I go again, does everyone loose their hair with Abraxane?

Lyn

mickey
10-09-2005, 08:58 AM
All hair is lost with abraxane.

Mickey

IRENE FROM TAMPA
10-12-2005, 04:21 AM
Hi Lynn -

I lost mine within two weeks and that is one of the side effects. I believe with any Taxane based drug, it is expected. But as with anything, there may be someone who does not.

Have a good day

doh2pa
10-16-2005, 03:53 PM
Hi Lyn,

Just started last week on 3 on 1 off abraxane, carbo and herceptin. Just had flu like symptoms the day after (aches, headache, low grade fever) and very fatigued. This has gotten better. It's day 5 now and I'm feeling pretty good. Onc says I will loose my hair again (groan!). No numbness yet, keeping my fingers and toes crossed (as long as possible). Are you on a study? (I am).

Donna

al from Canada
10-16-2005, 08:45 PM
My understanding of abraxane is that it is taxol bound with a protein instead of a solvent. This drug has just come out of clinical trials with the promise of less side effects with much higher dose (almost 2x) than taxol. My thought is that maybe they pinned the theraputic dose a little too high...similar to what happened with xeloda. Maybe we could get an improved result with a lower dose? Only time will tell. A good article about this drug is here: http://www.drugs.com/NDA/abraxane_040308.html

Regards,
Al

Unregistered
10-17-2005, 01:34 PM
Hello,
I've been following this board a few weeks after a 6 year hiatus from the breast cancer merry-go-round. Long story short, my mother came out of remission from BC about 8 weeks ago with spinal mets that quickly spread hot spots through her skeletal system, sparing only her cranium and arms and legs. Pain was increasing/helped only by round the clock opoids--a first for her, help with mobility was necessary and this all happened suddenly. Prior, she had been working at the fitness center 2x week and walking 3 miles per day. Her tumor markers Ca27.29 skyrocketed from 30's to over 300 in the space of three weeks.

Now...she had her first dose of Abraxane on last Wednesday (5 days ago.) She could tell a difference 48 hours later. By Sunday morning, she did not need help getting out of bed. Today, she has taken no opoids, says she has twinges instead of pain, and walked outside for the first time in 4 weeks. Except for constipation caused by the premeds and the opoids, she has had no side effects from the Abraxane yet.

She previously (7 years ago) had a whole cocktail of chemos, followed by rads followed by Taxol, then tamoxifen for 5 years, another hormone drug that escapes me right now, then a third when her condition exacerbated suddenly.

Now she is just getting the Faslodex shots once per month and the Abraxane every three weeks.

I am utterly amazed and did not expect this type of response. I really don't care if it placebo or otherwise, because she is suddenly and totally so much better and functional again.

Felicia wfldke@aol.com
daughter of Mom with lobular breast CA, mast, 14/21 nodes in 1998
chemo rads taxol tamoxifen
change of hormone 2003 after 5 years on tamoxifen
NED until 01/04 two vertabra questionable
09/05 mets to spine change of hormone
suddenly symptomatic on 09/14/05 w/ pain and weakness
10/05 mets to skeleton
Abraxane/Faslodex

doh2pa
10-19-2005, 05:50 AM
Hi Felicia,

So glad to hear that your mom feels better on just one dose! Excellent! Let's hope things continue to improve.

I am on weekly carbo, abraxane and herceptin (3 on one off) and my second treatment was much better than my first. I really feel pretty good today (less than 24 hours out). Is your mom getting herceptin too?

Sending my good thoughts your way. I am also new to this board but find it a wealth of information and inspiration.

Keep in touch,
Donna