PDA

View Full Version : Need advice making decision on Herceptin

NieceLynn
10-04-2005, 07:09 AM
Hi! I am having the worst time trying to decide on whether or not to begin herceptin treatment. I am 36, just diagnosed with bc March of this year. I've had A/C and radiation. I'm borderline estrogen positive. (I'm wondering if anyone out there can tell me how they did on Tamoxifen, if they started it around my age.) One Dr. recommended Herceptin-he stated that he really doesn't know if it will benefit me, but he wants to do all that he can. I went for a consult and this Dr. did not recommend Herceptin as I am clinically node negative. I am worried about the heart risks and if I would have an allergic reaction. I am leaning towards doing it and I would really welcome any advice on what to expect with both drugs. Thanks to you all and I think that this site is so wonderful and you are all angels on Earth!

Unregistered
10-04-2005, 07:39 AM
I would definitely go with the doctor who wants to do all he can. I am also node negative, but am receiving Herceptin. If you are HER2 + it is too effective of a medicine to pass up in preventing recurrence, even for those of us at lower risk. HER2 positive cancer has a tendency to be more aggressive and we do have the risk, albeit low, of cells escaping through the bloodstream rather than the lymph nodes. I just started Arimidex yesterday, as I had my ovaries removed a few weeks ago, so sorry but I can't comment on Tamoxifen. Again, however, I would take it myself if you are Estrogen positive. As you can see, I went even further and removed ovaries to become postmenapausal so I could eliminate as much estrogen as possible. You are quite young, so Tamoxifen is a good choice for you. I am 44.
Herceptin is most effective if administered for the first 12 weeks with Taxol, but still carries significant benefit by itself. You may want to look at the Articles from the ASCO convention in May on ths website. Best wishes and God Bless.

Becky
10-04-2005, 03:56 PM
Take the Herceptin. Do all you can and then you can't have any regrets.

Herceptin is easy to take with relatively few side effects. If cardio problems occur, they are reversible by going off Herceptin. You are young - go for it.

Becky

Doris
10-04-2005, 05:34 PM
I am also node=negative, stage 2 but I insisted on getting Herceptin. My second opinion Dr. told me it could cut my chance of reoccurance in half. That was enough for me. I had an allergic reaction during the first treatment, but Benadryl and Tylenol took care of that. My heart is perfect according to my Dr. I want to do everything NOW to prevent this ugly disease from rearing its head again!!!!

Unregistered
10-04-2005, 05:53 PM
I am also a stage 1, node negative, 1.3cm tumor, er/pr+ and I am taking Herceptin. I would take it, if I were You.

Hope this helps.

Karen

Berta
10-04-2005, 06:23 PM
I'm stage I, node negative 1.6 cm tumor HER+++. I'm taking herceptin and thrilled to be able to get it. No side effects and from everything I read it really cuts the recurrence rate big time. Everyone has to make the decision for herself but I need to feel that I'm doing everything I can to stack the odds in my favor. They are monitoring my heart closely with MUGA scans and if the numbers start dropping, they would take me off the herceptin. So far, so good. BERTA

Diane H
10-05-2005, 05:25 AM
I didn't hesitate, I am taking the herceptin and am very grateful to get it, oh, I am also node negative.

suzan w
10-06-2005, 12:32 PM
I was dx'd in May with invasive lobular...small tumor 8mm, node neg, ER+, PR+, Her2neu++...had bilateral mastectomy-didn't want to take any chances...lobular is stealthy and sneaks out cell by cell, all scans neg. Then had Oncotype DX test done...came out in the intermediate range...predicts recurrence rate. So I opted for 4 rounds of AC, and will start herceptin in 3 weeks, at 3 week intervals. Feel lucky to get it at Stage 1 with no other complications...Good luck with your decision!