PDA

View Full Version : elderly her-2neu positive

roober
09-30-2005, 01:48 PM
My 82-year-old mother has been diagnosed as stage one, grade two, HER-2neu positive, no lymph node involvement, 1.5 cm original tumour. She is in otherwise excellent health. She's had a lumpectomy and now her oncologist has reccommended FEC-50 chemo (six cycles), followed by radiation and Herceptin for a year. He said studies have been only up to age 75, if that, and that data aren't available on 10-year survival rates for my mother's age group. But data on younger women show markedly increased survival rates using the recommended protocol. The good news, he said, is that she's in good health otherwise and is lymph-node negative.

I'd appreciate hearing from anybody in my mother's, or a similar, situation. Thank you.

jojo
09-30-2005, 02:32 PM
I would strongly suggest that somebody be with your mother at her very first infusion.

My friend's grandma was diagnosed with colon cancer 2 years ago, and I think she's about 80 or so. She received 1st Taxol, and sure enough, it really threw her off, even prompted a heart attack, and went to ER. She switched onc's thereafter. Because of her 'delicate' age, new onc pulled her out of chemo regimen!

Best of luck to you & your mother.

roober
09-30-2005, 04:59 PM
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your taking the time to offer your friend's perspective.

Unregistered
10-03-2005, 07:57 PM
At age 52, FEC was really hard on me. I don't want to be negative, but truthful. The white counts started dropping after the 1st treatment, and had to take Neulasta which also made me sick; very flu like, aches and fever which lasted for several days.

Treatment #5 sent me into ICU for a week. #6 also sent me to ICU.

I've often thought, that if I had to do it over again, I would choose AC 4 times, followed by Taxol/Herceptin 12 weekly, then continue with the Herceptin for a total of 52 weeks. It is controversial, but I still believe the weekly treatments are somewhat easier on the system than treatments every 3 weeks.

The "F" in FEC is 5FU, kind of an older drug, and I haven't read much lately of its use with Her2+ patients. Today the treatments are more inclined to consist of the drugs that were used in the trials for Her2+ people that were made public this spring. (A/C, Taxol/Herceptin)

The "E" in FEC is Epirubicin (sp?) which I have been told is the "European" form of the "A" (Adrimiacin) used in the United States. It may be easier on the heart and supposed to be as effective.

In her situation (very early stage, etc), I'd be tempted to not hit her so hard with the big guns. Who knows, though?? Pray you will make the right decision, and stick with it. If you go for the tough drugs, you can stop it if she becomes ill from them.

It's a tough choice, I know. I'll say a prayer for you....

Blessings, Barbara2

al from Canada
10-03-2005, 08:11 PM
I agree with Barbara.....at 80, why the big guns???

Xeloda is a "smart" version of "F"; it's an oral drug that is activated by cancer cells and transforms into 5FU therefore, it is not systemic. That with herceptin???
I'm not an oncologist but at 80............. what about the quality of life???

GET A SECOND OPINION!!!!!

You certainly don't want this to be a case where the chemo kills here before the cancer does.

Good luck,
Al

Lolly
10-03-2005, 09:35 PM
I know several older women at my care center who have had good success with Xeloda/Herceptin. One had mets to the lungs and is now NED, the other gal has inflammatory bc, notoriously hard to treat but it's regressed and is now stable.
It is a very tolerable combo.

And as Al suggests, a second opinion would be worthwhile, nothing to lose.

Best of luck to you and your mom.

<3,
Lolly

chrislmelb
10-04-2005, 03:09 AM
I agree with all of the above. I thought they left FEC for the younger ones.
Good luck
Christine

Becky
10-04-2005, 06:26 AM
AC and FEC are very hard. My chemo friend and I both took it hard and I was 45 at the time and she was 56 at the time.

Get another opinion. Our WBC dropped significantly - mine to a point where I was not allowed to eat raw fruits or veggies and no plants or flowers in my living spaces.

Since it was autumn and winter (then), I even stayed away from the 2 daughters I have that are still living at home (at least they are old enough to understand).

Best regards

Becky

jjfromcanada
10-04-2005, 10:48 AM
I had FEC and had trouble at 54. Unless the doctor is concerned about being accused of ageism, I don't understand the suggestion.

I know of two older women, both in their 80s, who had recent similar diagnoses and neither had chemo suggested.

She is node negative. I know I wouldn't consider putting myself through anything as remotely strong as FEC even in my 70s.

Quality of life is important and there isn't much with that stuff. Nausea, hair loss, low blood counts, and exhaustion don't add up to quality of life and I had all of those on that.

roober
10-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Again, thank you for the replies. This site is wonderful and I appreciate the help. I'm a guy trying to amass information for my mother, and every reply is so helpful.