PDA

View Full Version : New here

sonyamagee
09-29-2005, 10:07 PM
hi everyone! i am so happy i found this group. i have found other bc support groups but none specifically for my type of cancer. here's a little about me. i am a married 30 y/o woman with 2 young children (ages 2 -almost 3- and 12 months) and was dx aug. 3 with a noninvasive dcis. however, my surgeon was suspicious so she immediately sheduled me for a mastectomy (very large tumor) on aug.5. the results of the tumor biopsy showed that i indeed had 6 invasive tumors (largest 2.7 cm) within the main dcis tumor which was 11cm. my tests showed er/pr- and her2/neu+. i had 2 positive lymph nodes. so, my onc tells me that i am stage III grade III. i started chemo on sept 14 and my regimen will be 4 rounds of ac followed by 4 rounds of taxol combined with herceptin 1/week for 12 months.
i have managed to stay in pretty good spirits mainly b/c i have to lil ones to live for and i refuse to let this get the best of me.
thanks for letting me ramble on. i feel much better when i am talking about this.

oh yeah...i don't like feeling like i am doing nothing to battle this. so, PLEASE if any of you have any advice on additional things i can do to help myself besides following my treatment regimen please share.

Lisa
09-30-2005, 08:40 AM
Sonya,

Welcome to our site! It sounds as though you and your onc are doing good things for treatment. Stay as positive as possible and forget fear. You have much too much positive in the form of little ones to waste a moment on fear.

Many of us supplement our treatment with supplements such as CoQ10 and others. You might talk to your doc about it. Or come back here and we'll help. We aren't docs, but many members have spent years researching this nasty disease and have good advice.

Love and light,

Lisa

Unregistered
09-30-2005, 10:00 AM
Sonya,
Just wanted to welcome you here. I was diagnosed In March of this year at 34. I have a 15 yr. old, and two year old.You will find the people on this board to be incredibly helpful.The only supplement I'am taking right now is coral calcium, but the others know of many more.I try to limit my sugar intake, and eat as many fresh fruit and veggies as I can.Flax seed is great. I buy it in the box and sprinkle it on bread , oatmeal, or whatever.Wheat germ is good too.My diet was not poor before, but I have modified it(drank lots of mountain dew-haven't had one in months).Keep up with the positive spirits, but it's okay to grieve some too.
Best wishes
michelle

Julie2
09-30-2005, 10:24 AM
Sonya,

Like you I also have 2 small kids with age 1 and 4 year. I finished my chemo and on a year of Herceptin sicne March05. I take CoQ10,olive oil,flax seed oil etc.. Please feel free to ask any questions you have.

Julie

margaret
09-30-2005, 02:42 PM
Hi Sonya,
Glad you found your way to this website. I think you'll find it really helpful. I was also stage 3 diagnosed 4 years ago. I would reccomend accupuncture and yoga while going through your treatment. I found it really helpful. I also got really into yoga and am now a yoga teacher. It really helps me appreciate every day and stick with a healthy lifestyle. Good luck with the treatments.
Margaret

Becky
09-30-2005, 04:54 PM
I feel it is always good to be active in your disease. It makes you feel like you are part of the cure. There were 2 studies that came out in the May ASCO meeting that help reduce recurrence and are drug free (and anyone can do them). One study is eatting a low fat diet (30grams or less per day) but the diet does not have to be calorie restrictive. It can cut recurrence rate in hormone negative breast cancer by over 40%. The second study is increasing exercise (any will do and walking is recommended). The study says that exercising 1 - 1.5 hours per week can cut recurrence rate by 31%. Actually states that the best scenario is 30 minutes per day. These things are free.

The jury is out on supplements during chemotherapy (and later radiation). A good multi is always ok and with a diet rich in colorful fruits and vegetables, you will get what you need (adding a tablespoon of olive oil and cooking with it as well as flax is also great). However, when chemo and radiation is over and you are only getting Herceptin, you can add what you want like Co Q 10 and others.

I always felt if I was doing something, I was active in helping myself. It made me feel better even when chemo zaps your strength you feel more with it so you can cook for your family and play with your kids.

If you are scared or lonely, tune in here. Everybody here is great and is ready to lend the hand and ear you need. Somebody here has had the symptom you have etc to give some advice and reassurance.

You are not alone.

Warmest regards,

Becky

Lolly
09-30-2005, 05:31 PM
Hi Sonya, and welcome! It sure sounds like your onc is on top of things and doing all the cutting edge stuff. I agree with the other's comments, a good diet and a few "extras" in the way of a multiple vit. and POSSIBLY CoQ 10 while you're on chemo. Run this by your onc though, some docs feel that anti-oxidants (which CoQ 10 is) are counter-productive to chemo; chemo is trying to kill as many cancer cells as possible, and anti-oxidants help the body repair cellular damage. It's controversial, so discuss with your onc.
Again, welcome!

<3,
Lolly

sonyamagee
09-30-2005, 07:55 PM
thanks for the kind words and suggestions! i am a little scared but i'm so afraid that fear will get the best of me that i don't allow myself to focus on it. i think my biggest fear is that i had all of my scans (mri, bone, blood tests) so long ago that what if something "popped up" that wasn't there before. is this irrational? my tests/scans were done in august so not that long ago but it sure feels like it.

Lolly
09-30-2005, 08:35 PM
Sonya, your fears are totally normal, and not irrational. But, you can't let them get the best of you. You are going through the "Gold Standard" treatment wise, and along with this your onc will be tracking blood results. Report any and all symptoms, which will help her form a "big picture" of what's going on in your body. If anything seems suspicious, I'm sure she will order the appropriate scans to check things out. Your job is to let the chemo and Herceptin do it's good work.

To that end, I believe that visualization makes a difference, as the Mind-Body Connection is a more potent ally than most realize. Visualization is something we all do unconsciously, anyway, so you just need to take some time each day to go to a quiet space, close your eyes and "visualize" the chemo/combo's chasing down those cancer cells and wiping them out! Then visualize yourself as happy and glowing with health. Hope this doesn't sound too kooky, 'cause I think it does help.

<3,
Lolly

mamacze
09-30-2005, 09:22 PM
Dear Sonya,
Welcome to the Her2support board; we are so glad you found us. It is so scary dealing with this beast while you worry for your wee ones. You try so hard to stay positive, but the worries sometimes slip into your mind like a snake.
This is the place to be...as Lolly said, it seems like you are getting top notch treatment. It seems like you are having good dialoques with your onc; very important. And you are taking charge of your diet; looking into supplements; all very good. Keep communicating with your onc as you do change your diet; I am sure he will cheer your positive attitude. One of our discussion threads is on the optimal breast cancer diet; search for it; and you will find it.
In the meantime; keep visualizing yourself 30 year from now rocking your grandbabies....
Love and hugs,
Kim from CT

michele u
09-30-2005, 10:16 PM
Sonya,

Welcome. I was dx 2 years ago with 34 positive nodes. er/pr neg and her2 pos. I took the Herceptin trial for a year. Now women like you are getting it without having to go through the trial. Breast cancer tx has come so far in 2 years. Keep your spirits up through your tx. It really does help!

MCS
10-04-2005, 10:09 AM
Hi Sonya,

I'm new to this also

her2+, er-
stage 1
dx july 2005
right breast
mastec
plan 4ac, 4 taxol w herceptin,
1 year herceptin, weekly. This is soooooo far away, I don't think of it. I guess I'll get a port. One more scar. Plan recon afterward- again so far away.

You do have your kids to fight for but you have to fight for your self as well because in this world there was only one YOU!!! and there was a reason for you to be. I have older girls (almost 21 and 17)- don't need my physical assistance to bathe, feed them etc as when they were little, but I need to be there to see them trough life.

I'm also very glad to see this support group. I'm learning a lot from all. It's so good to talk, it's hard for me to continuously disscuss cancer 24/7 with family, although that is what is on my mind 24/7.

My onc is good but is detached, you know what I mean?

Fear and scared is there all the time for me. I think we all are. My fears run from not knowing enough, am I getting the right treatment, will it nuke this sucker, pop ups in other places, re currence, relationships with my husband and daughters, loss of my job and financial security, loss of goals, dreams, plans. Who cares about loss of hair at this point? Oh yeah it's scarry.

keep up the spirit. we are all together

MCS

sonyamagee
10-04-2005, 10:21 AM
wow mcs, it looks like we are going through the exact same tx. that gives me some kind of encouragement. funny you mention the loss of hair. i thought it wouldn't affect me much. i mean i cut off my hair (to a very short "boy cut") to better prepare myself for the inevitable and when it started to fall out it still took me aback. i think it was more of a reality check than the thought of being bald that got to me. in a way i was able to get away from this whole cancer thing when i wanted to. i mean it wasn't "common knowledge" and now it is REALLY reality. oh well, i'm better about it now. i shaved it bald last night and i feel better. the bald head is much better than the patchy one.