PDA

View Full Version : Totally Lost and Not Sure

Unregistered
09-29-2005, 06:41 AM
Ok ladies I need help. First this is my story. DX may 05, IDC, no node involement or lympathic involvement. er/per + and Her2Neu ++. had lumpectomy, all clear margins. Started chemo, 4 A/C done by 8/10. 12 taxol /herceptin, 5 of 7 done so far. After that I get 40 weeks of herceptin, and 6 weeks of rads.

Now i'm not reading to many stories of herceptin keeping the cancer from mets, so what is that what I have to look forward to automatic METS. I thought the herceptin was keeping in from moving? I'm so scared and confused. I've never had cancer markes done, should I.

My docs all tell me that they believe the cancer is all gone from my body and that the herceptin is going to keep the her2neu gene from over expressing.

OH this is so hard. I have been doing excellent on the taxol/herceptin, no neruopothy, no bone pain, nothing. My hair is even coming in. I'm just confused this morning.

I told cancer it had one year of my life and that was it, now I'm afraid it is going to tell me otherwise.

any thoughts are ideas or insight?

Thanks
Randi

Lisa
09-29-2005, 06:57 AM
RAndi,

Sorry you're going through this tough time. Being Her2+++ does increase your chances of mets, but your doctor is taking an aggressive path with chemo, radiation and Herceptin. So you're doing all you can from a medical perspective to prevent spread.

For many, Herceptin does the trick. For others, it only helps slow the growth.

Let's hope and pray that you're one of the lucky ones! Keep us posted.

Love and light,

Lisa

mickey
09-29-2005, 07:22 AM
I just believe in changing the things you can and accepting those you can. Stay at peace as much as possible and enjoy life. You may have lots of it left.
Mickey

Unregistered
09-29-2005, 07:44 AM
Randi,

Data released by Genentech in April shows that Herceptin can cut recurrences by up to 53% when given in an adjuvant setting.

Regards
Joe

TriciaK
09-29-2005, 10:12 AM
Randi, You and your doctor are doing all the right things! I felt just as you do 20 years ago when I was first diagnosed! And even more so 5 years later when mets showed up in my spine. There was no herceptin then, only tamoxifen, prayer, guided imagry and faith. But I made it again. THen in June '04 when mets showed up in my lungs, I thought again "This is it!I've had two miracles, how can I expect another one?" But I went on herceptin and femara from that point on, still on both. Also had navelbine for 6 months at first. A PET scan last month shows no evidence of cancer! SO hang in there, practice faith in every way you can, 'cause as I've said before "Fear cannot co-exist with faith." Focus on all the good things in your life and create a few more if you can. Stay on this website and glean all the good and positive things that are here, as well as all the love and wisdom. YOU CAN DO THIS!! This is not a fun journey, but you will amazed at how you will learn and grow! Don't be afraid to share all your pain and fear; no one can understand and empathise better than the wonderful people on this site! Hugs, Tricia

Unregistered
09-30-2005, 08:22 AM
Thanks all. Ok I feel better today. I just get a little worried, like I said....I told cancer ok, you have one year of my life and that is it. I have been very lucky that I have done 4 a/c and 5 of 12 taxol/herceptin with little to no side effects. I mean no bone pain, no neuropothy, just some tiredness. But I work at least 32 hours a week if not more. I feel so strong and confident that I am handling this well and everyone tells me I'm so storng and doing great. Than once in a while this little voice creeps inside my head and says I may come back.....................Well I won't let it.

I hope all of us continue to do the best we can with what we have and that we continue to get new "tools" to help us win the war.

Randi