PDA

View Full Version : low MUGA scan result

Julie
09-20-2005, 05:11 PM
My recent MUGA scan showed ejection fraction of 44%. The one before 3 months was 54%. So I will not be getting Herceptin till my heart function improves, I am not sure when that is going to be. I am on Herceptin since March for Stage3b. I am very worried right now as I am considering Herceptin as my saftey net. I was under the impression that the heart problems due to Herceptin start to show up immediatly within 3 months and the longer you are on Herceptin the less likely you have a problem.
Now I am worried that even if I resume Herceptin after my heart becomes OK, what is the guarantee that it will not become bad again after continuing Hercpetin.
Anybody has any suggestions or experiences?

Thanks,
Julie

michele u
09-20-2005, 09:12 PM
Julie, my muga dropped to 44%also. I was on my last Herceptin so i got it. The tests have about a 5 point lee way. So if you pressed them, you would be at a 49% and 50 is the cut off i think. If you have no symptoms, maybe talk to them again

Joe
09-20-2005, 09:12 PM
Julie,
Many women on this and other websites take coenzyme COq10 to strengthen their hearts while taking Herceptin with some success.

There are no side effects.

Warmest Regards
Joe

Rupali
09-21-2005, 04:52 AM
Hi Julie,
My LVEF went down exactly like u 45% from 54% in 3 months of Herceptin.
I was put off Herceptin for 4 weeks. I immediately seeked help from a cardiologist. He did an echocardiogram and found that my heart was in good shape. He put me on Coreg and Lipinrol and within 4 weeks my LVEF is back to 58%.
At the same time I also saw a nutritionist and made some dietary changes.
I have been taking CoQ10, 200 mg daily too.
Also I do 30 minutes walk at least 4 days a week.

This all will help you.
Dont worry, take care.

Rupali

BonnieT
09-21-2005, 09:56 AM
Hi
I also have experienced a drop in MUGA , from 54% to 36%. I saw a cardiologist , had an echo and my heart is fine. he put me on Coreg . and Lisinopril, I will have a new MUGA in a couple of weeks.If you haven't seen a cardiologist yet, I would think about seeing one,
God Bless, and keep us posted
Bonnie T

Julie
09-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Hi Rupali,Bonnie,Michelle

Thanks for your responses.
Did you see a cardiologist on recommendation of your Oncologist? Did your oncologist agree to use heart strengthening medication to improve EF and continue Herceptin. My oncologist denies to use the heart medication to continue on Herceptin. I really don't know what to do now.

I am already taking 300mg of C0Q10 and walking for an hour everyday.

thanks,
Julie

Rupali
09-23-2005, 06:08 AM
Hi Julie,
I would say its time to change the oncologist.
Which part of the country do you live?

Rupali

Rupali
09-23-2005, 06:11 AM
I am seeing 2 oncologists. One of them is real pesimistic but I see him as he is linked to abig Hospital. The othere is a local community oncologist, who is great and she recommended me to see a cardiologist. In fact this big hospital onc did not even agree for Herceptin, so my feeling is that you might be better off seeing a local community oncologist who can spend some time with you instead of these big institutes where they have set protocols for everything and will be so afraid to change even a little from these protocols due to the sad legal system in this country if sueing the doctors.