PDA

View Full Version : Neupogena side effects

JoanM
09-16-2005, 05:13 AM
My white blood count was low and in order to continue chemo it was suggested that I take Neupogena to build up my white blood cells.
I have completed 5 rounds of chemo and have 2 to go.
They want me to take 3 rounds of Neupogena - ten shots each round.
To my dismay, I found out that I must learn to self-inject. The first shot was given in the hospital in case of any reaction and the nurse came to my house for the 2nd & 3rd shot, which she taught me to self-administer. Self injecting wasn't as bad as a feared it would be.
I was feeling not too bad before taking the Neupogen but within the last two days, I have been feeling pretty low and I have pains here there and everywhere, the worst in my chest or lung area and my legs.
Has anyone taken Neupogena and experienced side effects?
If so did you take anything to relieve the discomfort?
Did the side effects wear off after awhile.
Thanks for your input.
Joan

Becky
09-16-2005, 06:34 AM
Your bone pain (ie: sternum in chest and ribs (which seem like it is the lungs) as well as long bones in the legs) are all common symptoms.

They are worse in the first cycle but you will get these pains with every cycle. It is caused by the bone marrow swelling and activating to start to produce new white blood cells more quickly than your body would naturally do so (which is why you are taking the shots).

The pains and fatigue do not last. When the shots are over, the side effects are over too (and there are no lingering side effects)

Becky

al from canada
09-16-2005, 06:59 AM
Joan,
Just a quick heads-up so you don't panic in the future, Neupogen may also make your Alk Phos. counts go up, again a direct result of the bone thing.
Good luck,
Al

Barbara2
09-16-2005, 08:45 AM
Yes, as stated above, the side effects (pain, fever, fatigue etc) do go away after you stop getting the shots. I was very sick with those shots too.

The first time of getting Neupogen, I received the shot that would carry you through for quite a while. But it made me so sick, much like a case of the flu, that with later treatments, we decided to do the daily shots. My husband gave them to me (which he dreaded doing!!), but they were easier on my system; didn't get so sick. So I was willing to get the daily shot to avoid the more severe side effect.

As I look back on it now, the "single" shot side efeects gradually wore off after several days, so maybe it wasn't so bad. Hindsight isn't available the first time you go through something like that. All of those "firsts" are hard. Just know that it will get better!!

All the best to you, Barbara

JoanM
09-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Re: Neupogen

"Thank you! Becky, Al & Barbara"

Your replies were helpful. I now have a better understanding. The intensity of the pain frightened me, but it comes and goes and I am in a much more relaxed state to deal with it, especially knowing that it is temporary and that it will go away and have no lasting side effects.
I took some Advil and that helped to calm down the pain.

Cheers!

Joan

al from Canada
09-19-2005, 10:52 PM
Joan,

I give Linda her shots and we found that if you put a ice-pack i=on the injection area 10 minutes before; you won't feel a thing! Just watch for frost bite; ie, the surface will turn WHITE and that's not a good thing.
Good luck,
Al

Joan
09-20-2005, 05:01 AM
Just a quick follow-up.
After posting, and the 4th Neupogen injection. On the Friday night I became quite ill. Vomitting, Diahorrea, spasms around torso and pain. Saturday, I didn't take a shot. Monday I went for a blood test and before I could call the nurse to report my reactions, the hospital called me and said that my white blood counts had come up and to discontinue administering the Neupogen. I have a dr's appointment on the 27th and will tell her about my experience using the drug.
I was very happy to hear that I could stop taking it. I only have more 2 chemo's to go, so I just want to get through it.

Nancy Love
09-20-2005, 04:31 PM
HI there, Yes I get terrible bone pain whenever I have
had to get that shot. I dred having low counts. The pain
feels like you were thrown in the road and run over, or like
the flu with no fever. It lasts about 2 days, the second day after getting it is when it is worse..
sorry i dont have good encouragement for you on this except to say that it will prevent you from getting an infection that you could really get sick from! love nance