PDA

View Full Version : Took Oncology nurse job

michele u
09-15-2005, 07:51 PM
I have been wanting to try and get a grant from the Komen breast cancer foundation to start a breast cancer program in my town. It due next week and i havent' gotten it done yet. This week a part time job came open in the oncology dept where i already work. I work in the clinic side. I went and applied wed. Today i found out i got the job. Now i don't know what to do about the grant. I don't want to over extend myself, but i want to give back the best way i know how, and that would be nursing. The director said i got the job because everyone that applied basically was doing it for the extra money. I don't even know what they are going to pay me!! She knew i wanted to do it for the right reasons. I'm excited, but scared all at the same time. I know it will bring back some bad memories, but i know i can help. I was just thinking today. If this cancer doesn't ever come back, this would have been the best thing that happened to me getting cancer. I look at everytihng differently. I cried tonight when i put my daughter to sleep. I don't deserve the things that i have. If i would die tomorrow, i'm so thankful i was not born into a nation that i had to worry every day about my life and my families. I had a great life. I had everything i ever wanted. Yes. i wish i could have a LONG time, but at least i had it.

AlaskaAngel
09-15-2005, 08:03 PM
Michelle, if it means much of anything, I'd want you for my nurse. When a job means that much it is a true calling. I'm sure it will take a lot out of you but I'm also sure you are going to be giving it the best you have. It IS hard to make choices when you know you could do the grant and you know you could take on the new job, but I think you already know which one you are feeling most needed to do.

Best wishes,

AlaskaAngel

athena453
09-15-2005, 08:18 PM
Michele,
Congratulations on your new job! I have a lot of respect for the oncology nurses that I have met. I think your experience will bring a compassion and understanding to the position that will be invaluable.
AM

Rhonda4
09-16-2005, 07:11 AM
Michele,

I think the oncology nurse job is a VERY good way of giving back. I think of MY oncology nurse and how wonderful she is. My Herceptin partner (she is stage 4 and gets it weekly w/ Xeloda, I am Stage 1 and get it every 3 weeks, but have the same oncologist and nurse) and I were joking how she is so "motherly". Every twinge we have she flips out if we don't tell her and I'm sure you will be even MORE so since you have been on the patient side. This is also why I love my oncologist. I had HEARD he had cancer and my nurse was telling me that about 9 yrs ago he had prostate cancer (discovered it when his urine flow had diminished). She said he wanted the doctor to do a biopsy, but they wouldn't, kept arguing that given his family history (his mother has lung cancer and I guess many others of his family had cancer to...probably why he became an oncologist) he wanted a biopsy. Finally got a doctor who would do it and when they removed the prostate, it was totally filled w/ cancer, I guess if he wouldn't have been so persistant, it would have metastisized. He has been JUST as aggressive w/ me (he is now the director of the entire cancer health dept for the largest health provider on the western side of Michigan and I can see why). I'm sure you as he will be even MORE empathetic to patients given your history. My nurse told us once that while her job is hard (losing patients) she gets something from each person and you will too.

imported_Joe
09-16-2005, 07:31 AM
Michele,

Kudos and congratulations. They couldn't have chosen a more qualified and passonate candidate.

Joe and Christine

al from canada
09-16-2005, 07:59 AM
Congrats Michele,

You've earned eveything you have! The oncology dep't has just improved their J.D. Power rating from an "A" to and "A+" !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some places get all the luck.

Al

StephN
09-17-2005, 06:54 PM
Hey, Lady!
Great going - getting such a wonderful chance to do what you will be just he best at.
You may want to think about going after that grant with a couple of other ladies to share the work in getting that group going. There must be some other survivors in your area that would have some promise this way.

Just know you will be the best infusion suite nurse in the whole midwest!