PDA

View Full Version : mri/anxiety question

*_jeff_*
09-06-2005, 08:16 AM
Hi all,

Hope that the week is starting well for everybody...

I'm writing with a straight up anxiety question: my partner Rachel had an MRI of her brain on Friday...Her primary care doc ordered it because Rachel has had an ongoing headache for a couple of weeks and just felt like she had to order the scan given Rachel's history of bc (dxed December '02 with Stage IIb, NED since then after dose dense chemo, one year of off-label herceptin, and rads)...

Now on the one hand I know I shouldn't worry too much--the headaches are in the same spot Rachel has had them since she was 13 or so, and there are no other troubling symptoms (she's also been struggling with really bad insomnia the past couple of weeks and that doesn't help on the headache front).

Rachel doesn't seem too anxious (except for one conversation during which she recounted that when the MRI was over the tech stroked her arm and said "Good Luck": Rachel asked me if I thought this meant the tech must have seen something bad). All weekend and today Rachel seems relatively unconcerned--hasn't mentioned checking in with her doc for results or anything like that. I can't tell if she's truly unconcerned or putting some healthy denial to work or what. My anxiety level is pretty high and I'm trying to figure out if I should push her to try to get the results or just let it be....

Any advice is welcome.

Best to all,
Jeff

Lisa
09-06-2005, 08:54 AM
My bet is that she's anxious, too. It just comes with the territory.

The results should be in by today. Why not ask her to call the onc and ask. Just tell her you love her and want to make sure she's o.k.

Love and light,

Lisa

jjfromcanada
09-06-2005, 09:14 AM
I always want my results asap. But I have some friends who just like to wait for their next doc's appointment. So really it depends on the kind of person you are when it comes to medical results.

If it were me, I'd be on the phone, camped out at the doc's office for the results or something like that.

Karen
09-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Hi Jeff,

I had to have a bone scan and brain MRI last week. I thought as I was leaving that both of the techs, for the MRI and bone scan acted strange. I kept thinking, "do they know something already?" Anyway, both of my scans came out clear, so don't worry too much about the techs, good wishes for Rachael.

Karen

StephN
09-06-2005, 01:05 PM
Hi Jeff -
Thanks for the post of concern - that is why we are all here!

If Rachel's med onc is worth his salt he will be calling her PRONTO if there is anything found in that scan. Hopefully he is not on vacation or has someone covering for him if he is.

In my case, I was not even home from having my brain MRI last Jan. and my med onc left me a message that there were 2 tumors and to call him on his pager as soon as I got that message! I was home a little over ONE HOUR after getting out of the MRI!

The tech had let him know what she saw and that was without the formal radiologist's report, which came in the next morning. I felt just little dizzy when I first sat up from being in the MRI and the tech steadied me a bit, but otherwise was "poker faced." She already KNEW I had a big tumor at that moment.

Rachel's doc should have a special appt set up immediately to go over the results - not wait till her next scheduled! What the HECK??

Barbara H.
09-06-2005, 01:39 PM
Jeff, My oncologist told me that they respond rather quickly when there is an issue. I would have Rachel call to put this behind you.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.

Barbara2
09-06-2005, 08:01 PM
I have had techs wish me luck on several occasions. I also wondered if they knew something that I didn't, but the test results were negetive. I figure it must be a routine kind gesture that is made to patients.

I bet by tomorrow you will know the results of her test. I, too, do not rest easy until I know what the report says. I'll say a prayer for you.....

Barbara2

al from canada
09-06-2005, 09:40 PM
Jeff,
My heart goes out to you because I know the mind plays tricks on us when we are under stress. I'm not saying that what we see isn't real, it's our interpretation. That being said, do you know the results yet??
Al

*_jeff_*
09-07-2005, 05:55 AM
Hey all,

Thanks for the great and varied input.

No results yet--even though I'm with all of you who are arguing in favor of making the call...

I guess a couple of things are pushing me in the "wait a little bit more direction"---most of all is that today is Rachel's first day back teaching after the summer break and she has seemed so focused on this (and helping the kids get reacquainted with school too!).

Also (to answer Steph's question) her onc actually hasn't been involved in this process at all, so far. Rachel went to see her primary care doc a week or so ago to talk about the headaches and she did a neurological exam, said pretty clearly that she doubted this was bc related (headache in same place as it's always been, etc.) and only ordered the scan after talking to a neurologist who said it should be done...

So thank you all SO much for your advice and support. I'll keep you posted.

Best,
Jeff