PDA

View Full Version : Does herceptin slow hair growth

Diane H
09-02-2005, 05:55 AM
Am getting a good growth of hair but not on the top or front, anyone had this experience? I've heard herceptin can slow hair growth from a few people. But I would think it would slow the growth over the entire head? Appreciate any insight, {{{{hugs}}}}

Kristin
09-02-2005, 07:32 AM
I not aware of Herceptin slowing hair growth at all. Did you ever have radiation in that area??? If not, sometimes when hair grows in after chemo it is not even, don't worry it will all catch up.
Kristin

Bonnie
09-02-2005, 08:26 AM
I don't know if it was the Herceptin or the carboplatin or taxotere but I had the same experience as far as hair growth pattern. I've been off Herceptin since Jan. '05 and still trying to get the hair in front long enough. It just seems to grow very slowly and I used to have very fast growing hair.

Bonnie

jessica
09-02-2005, 09:55 AM
The same thing happened to me when my hair grew back the first time, and again when I did a short, 4 week cycle of TH, the hair on the crown of my head that fell out . And now after 9wks of Abrax/Hercep + 12wks of TCH + 4wks of TH, the same old hair around the around the back of my head is growing back faster (long in enough to pinch) than the top of my head. I think that's just the natural growth pattern of hair...that's the same area that they harvest from to do hair transplants etc.
I've used this stuff called "Folicure" in the past & am using it again now, & I really believe it encourages growth. I don't know why, maybe it's just a matter of massaging the scalp, w/or w/o the folicure, twice a day, who knows, but it seems to work.you can get it most any beauty supply stores. there's a whole line of products (shampoo, etc) but I just buy the stuff in the tiny, glass bottles.
How long have you been off chemo & Herceptin only? If I recall, it seems like it took a few weeks, 6-8, for all the chemo and toxicity to really clear my system. Once all that stuff really cleared out, the hair grew faster & faster.
Keep the faith!

*_sally_*
09-02-2005, 03:43 PM
I have been off chemo (Carboplatin/taxotere/Herceptin) for a year. I'm still on Herceptin along with Femara. My hair is about 5 inches long and growing back thicker and curly. I think that everyones hair grows about a 1/2 an inch a month on average. Sally

Diane H.
09-02-2005, 08:04 PM
Thanks everyone, I guess I just need to be patient. Finished A/C and taxotere 5 weeks ago. It is reassuring to hear your experience with hair regrowth. And it's wonderful to have any hair. I have got my first chin hairs back too, LOL. Even welcomed those !

09-03-2005, 01:04 PM
I have been on Herceptin alone for 7 months and my hair is beautiful--shiney and thick. I think it is the chemo that makes hair thin and fall out. I have been there too!

Marilyn
09-08-2005, 06:11 PM
I have gone through chemo twice. The first time my hair came back thick and curly. The second time I had Taxotere along with Zometa and Herceptin. I finished with 6 months of treatments in January 2002. I continued on Herceptin and Zometa and take it to this day with treatments every three weeks. I have what I call male pattern baldness. I have a very small amount of hair on the crown of my head. (cetainly not enough for a combover! :-) I have very fine, thin hair on the rest of my head but it is thick enough that it looks ok. I wear wigs or caps when I am in public. At the time of the second chemo I also lost my eyelashes and eyebrows and they are not fully grown in either. At one point I contacted Genentech about this and they said that there were reports of a few other women like this. But, no solution. On a positive note I also have very few leg hairs that also grow very slowly so no need to shave daily!