PDA

View Full Version : Annual eye exam is important

StephN
08-27-2005, 11:10 AM
Celina brought up something that I wanted to do a New Topic on. She mentioned that her sister's cancer has reached her optic nerve and is causing severe vision problems.

I had my annual eye exam last week. My doc was a little surprised to hear that I had two tumors discovered in my brain and had Gamma Knife. But, he said from now on he will do an even more thorough check of the back of my eye, as the cancer can get in there. He mentioned that breast cancer is common to that area once it is on the move.

He asked that if I experience ANY vision changes to come see him right away. Even though my two tumors were in my cerebellum or lower brain, it would not matter. The cancer cells can lodge in the eye area whether or not we have had brain tumors discovered.

Just one more body part to be vigilant about! An annual eye exam is covered by my insurance. I don't even have a co-pay. Just do it.

SusanAnne
08-27-2005, 11:51 AM
Hi Steph,

The facilitor of my support group is always reminding us to get eye exams, but because of the fact that chemo can effect our vision. This is just yet another reason!

Susan

Montana
08-27-2005, 03:18 PM
My recent eye exam revealed posterior subcapsular cataracts in both eyes. The eye doctor said they are caused by chemo, rads, and steroids. Be sure to let your eye doctor know about all of your treatments and medicines as they do affect your eyes.

Sandy H.
08-27-2005, 05:00 PM
When I went in for my eye exam this year it showed I have a cataract started in my right eye. It was not there two years ago so now I will have yearly exams. He told me that this happens at this age and also chemo can cause them so there is no way of knowing if it was the chemo or my age. I am 59 1/2 years old. Just another hurdle to deal with. Hugs, Sandy

Gina
08-27-2005, 07:15 PM
Have to say I agree with everything everybody said...I have noticed so much up and down with my vision the whole time I have had mets (since '99). So much so that I participated in an NIH Ocular Surface Disease study at the National Eye Institute about this time last year. They took extensive blood work and scraped the cornea of my eyes for DNA samples to run through the PCR, and did a number of tear measurement studies, etc. I am still waiting for the results of the study to be published...it was fascinating. They were very interested in my case because I have a strange symptom-- my vision improves following certain kinds of un-cancer related anti-biotic treatment...and tends to worsen with excessive Herceptin use...which is another reason I don't like to take more Herceptin than is absolutely necessary...but again..all this is just anecdotal info like so much of what I type here is, but they thought it was fascinating...smile--I am such a good lab rat...chuckle chuckle.... They also studied the back of my eye, especially the retina and optic nerve...discovered that I could be a candidate for Macular Degeneration down the line..oh joy...another reason to beef up on the Vitamin A and Lutein- rich foods... If it "ain't" one thing...smile. Good luck to all --Gina

Sandy H.
08-28-2005, 05:54 AM
I find it very frustrating because I am in some study groups (not for eyes) but IBC and have yet to receive any info from anyone. Perhaps, should start calling. Sometimes I hestiate to call because of fhe length of time it takes to talk to the right person or have to call back another time to get told the same thing. I will have to work on this as it looks as though it is up to me to chase this all down. Gina, you caused a red flag to go up for me-thanks. hugs, Sandy

hmboyle
08-28-2005, 09:31 PM
Gina, maybe a possible link to your antibiotics working on your vision....
I've had chronic Lyme for many years before bc and the eye is just another organ Lyme attacks. If you do a search on lymeinfo.net you can probably find several articles on vision and lyme.

Anyway I would be suspicious if you've had other symptoms of Lyme or another infection. Or did you ever receive treatment for Lyme? People can lose their eyesight temporarily with Lyme, and have all sorts of vision problems. Before treatment I did lose my sight on more than one occasion fortunately only for a minute or two. Terrible nightmares followed, like I was in that Lucy-Desi movie the long, long trailer and I would lose my eyesight driving the canyon as in the movie.
Is that bizarre? Just a thought for you from a Lyme support group leader.
email if you have any questions about Lyme.
aqua920@mindspring.
I do notice my vision has worsened fast following Herceptin/Navelbine.

Susan M (PA)

Gina
09-08-2005, 11:54 PM
Dear Susan M in PA,

Are YOU Psychic...I was bitten by a tick on April 16, 2005 of this year!!! Thanks so much for your post...did not know of the Lyme and eye connection!!!!

Gina