PDA

View Full Version : Surgery during Herceptin treatment

jpuk
08-18-2005, 02:58 AM
I am in London, UK. I had neo-adjuvant chemotherapy and currently await recovery fromm mastectomy 8 weeks ago before undergoing radiotherapy. I am about to start a one-year course of Herceptin treatment in 4 days' time. I am EXTREMELY large-breasted and therefore need reduction surgery to my remaining breast as, whether or not I am eventually suited for reconstruction, life is very difficult with one huge unbalanced breast. Accordingly, although I am not anxious for further butchery, I hope I do not have to wait unnecessarily long for reduction.

Does anyone know whether surgery is contra-indicated during Herceptin treatment?

*_Kim_*
08-18-2005, 03:39 AM
I had a proph. mastectomy and my exchange surgeries both done while I was receiving herceptin.
Good luck,
Kim

Becky
08-18-2005, 05:07 AM
I am having an oophorectomy shortly and will continue on my weekly Herceptin. My onco told me that I couldn't have Herceptin the day before or the day of surgery so I scheduled surgery on a Monday and I always get my Herceptin on Fridays so I will stay on track.

Best wishes

Becky

jpuk
08-18-2005, 10:26 AM
Thanks to the two ladies who have responded so quickly to my enquiry. These replies are encouraging.

Kim: I should be interested to know whether being on Herceptin treatment had any effect on recovery from your operations, e.g. on how you felt during that period.

One further query: could someone please enlighten me as to what are "exchange surgeries"? Thanks!

denise99
08-18-2005, 03:27 PM
I have been on Herceptin for a year and a half. During that time, I have had expander surgery, implant surgery (that is the exchange surgery-an exchange from the expander to implants), and surgery to take out one implant after I got a staph infection. And in a couple of months, I hope to have a LAT flap surgery.
All of these are possible while on Herceptin as long as your blood counts are okay.
Good luck!
Denise in PA

*_Barbara_*
08-18-2005, 03:27 PM
JPUK:

I recently had my gallbaddler removed while on Herceptin and I recovered quickly. I had some chest congestion probably due to mucus plugs in my bronchial tubes and lungs which I have had since a couple of months after starting Herceptin. I recovered quicker from my gallbladder surgery then my sister who was not on Herceptin.

*_kim_*
08-18-2005, 04:34 PM
jpuk,

I think my recoveries went pretty well. I bounced back quickly and healed well.

Exchange surgery is when you exchange your tissue expanders for permanent breast implants during reconstruction.

I hope this helps,
Kim

Rozebud
08-18-2005, 09:49 PM
I did a bilateral SGAP (reconstruction....butt tissue for breasts) 2 weeks before my last herceptin treatment. It was a 9 hour surgery with 3 surgeons. I did just fine. Figured if anything the herceptin protected me :) !

jpuk
08-19-2005, 12:11 PM
Thank you all very much for your contributions.

Herceptin is still not much used in the UK and government guidelines for the National Health Service currently only approve it for secondary disease. (You can buy it privately if you are rich enough: the private insurance companies do not pay for it for primary BC due to the government guidelines!) I shall be receiving it due to the diagnosis of Inflammatory Breast Cancer which is aggressively HER2 positive. (My consultant oncologist classifies IBC as a locally advanced condition and therefore falling within the guidelines.)

It is encouraging to realise that surgery is possible during this treatment. When I asked my oncologist whether surgery is possible he said he woud get one of his team to research the academic papers. I'm glad I found this forum to get the information more quickly and directly!