PDA

View Full Version : Receiving 1st Herceptin on 8/18/05, have ????

Rhonda4
08-15-2005, 06:52 AM
I was dx on 2/1/05 with Stage 1, no node, ER/PR-, Her2neu+ breast cancer. Had excisional biopsy on 2/1, partial mastectomy (surrounding tissue and lymph nodes clean), finished 6 rounds of Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan on 5/18 and 36 radiation on 8/1. When I originally talked to my oncologist about Herceptin he said that I was weakly Her2neu (3.16) and didn't want it to affect my heart. I had a feeling that when I next saw him (today), he would have a change of heart and sure enough, HE brought up the Herceptin. I start Herceptin on 8/18 every 3 weeks for 1 year (am waiting for the office to call me back to schedule an ECHO before Thursday) and I have some questions.

1. I am scheduled to have my port removed on 8/22 but, I wonder if I shouldn't as I have "hard to find" veins?

2. What side effects have you experienced (I know not everyone experiences the same thing but, I like to know what to expect...expect the worst but, hope for the best).

3. Any tips, info, helpful advice.

I'm an "information" kind of gal and have found this to be one of the warmest, friendliest, professional and informative sites out there. Thank you and God bless you all.

Rhonda

Lisa
08-15-2005, 07:08 AM
Rhonda,

For most of us, Herceptin is a godsend. Although it usually works best in combination with chemo, for many with no mets we are hoping that it prevents mets.

I was one of the very few who had a severe allergic reaction to the loading dose. I won't get into the dirty details, but 2 years later I'm still on it. I can't really think of any side effects, other than a constantly sniffly nose for me.

Why remove your port? If it isn't bothering you, I agree that it's best to keep it in.

Sounds like you're on a good path! Keep us posted.\

Love and light,

Lisa
Lafayette, CO

*_Andrea_*
08-15-2005, 08:58 AM
Dear Rhonda,

I think you should confidently expect no side-effects from the Herceptin. That is most women's experience. I fond that after about six or seven months, my nails seemed a bit weaker and I had sniffles a lot of the time, but what a small price to pay.

The nails went back to normal right away, the sniffles took over a year to completely go away, but it was truly no big deal.

Good luck - you are getting the good stuff,

Andrea

*_BonnieT_*
08-15-2005, 02:26 PM
Hi
I would definitely keep your port, the will use it when you receive your herceptin.
I just started herceptin, loading dose and then 2 other treatments, no side effects until now, my MUGA scan went from 51% to 36% , so I am seeing a cardiologist to get my heart back and then I hope to go back on hercpetin and take heart meds.
I would also suggest getting a MUGA or ECHO if you haven't had one, so they can moniter your heart.
good luck
Bonnie T

triciak
08-15-2005, 02:45 PM
Dear Rhonda, I agree with all these posts, and especially that herceptin is a godsend. I've been on it a year, no side effects, and my last PET scan shows NED (No evidence of disease)! The oncologist was astonished as he hadn't given me much more than a year to live. Now we've decided to stay on the herceptin, and also femara, which I've also been on a year. Herceptin is truly our miracle! I also definietely agree with your positive comments about this website! Best wishes, Tricia

Gretchen
08-16-2005, 08:30 PM
You will be glad you kept your port - it really is the easiest way to receive this treatment. If you hate needles, ask for EMLA or topical lidocaine - you can put it on your skin about an hour before your treatment, and you won't feel anything. I have had 10 Herceptin infusions over the past few months (receiving 12 weekly, then go to once every 3 weeks for a year), and so far I don't have any noticeable side effects, however I am also receiving Taxol at the same time. My heart seems to be fine, and I don't have a cough.