PDA

View Full Version : Herceptin and Xeloda

kirsten in NY
08-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Anyone ever done this combination? Anything I need to know? I had my first herceptin on Tuesday and started oral Xeloda today.

StephN
08-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Hi Kirsten -
Wondered what is going on with you that you are taking the Xeloda??

I have not had Xeloda, but have a friend who is also starting it just today!
She has some lymph nodes deep under her arm that are active and have increased in size so is going at it with the added chemo now. She is also on Herceptin and Faslodex.

There are lots of women here who have had good results with Xeloda and I am sure you will also hear from them. You should be optimistic.

*_Julie_*
08-11-2005, 03:41 PM
I took Xeloda and Herceptin and I didn't have any problem with Xeloda.

Julie

kirsten in NY
08-11-2005, 03:58 PM
I was originally dx with breast cancer in 2001. Had bilateral mastect. with saline implants, 6 months of AC and Taxol and 29 radiation tx. I was dx at age 37.

Now, I was just dx with bone mets to hips, pelvis and sacrum this past December. I started Arimidex, Zolodex and Zometa in January however, my markers went up in July. Therefore, my onc decided to start me on chemo again.

Not sure what to expect....but...so far so good (day 1). The girls from www.bcsupport.org sent me to you guys, so hoping you'll give me the same support here.

Lolly
08-11-2005, 10:45 PM
Kirsten, my friend just finished Xeloda/Herceptin for bc lung mets, did 6 months of the combo and now on Herceptin maintenance as she is NED. She had no problems other than some increased neuropathy in extremities which is chronic from previous chemos, so not sure if Xeloda aggravated it or not...but otherwise did fine and had great response, so good luck! Keep us posted.

<3,
Lolly

Shell
08-12-2005, 07:13 AM
Hi Kirsten-

I had herceptin twice, with other chemos, and had no problems. Unfortunately, herceting does not appear to work for me.

I now take xeloda, as part of a clinical study for the drug lapatinib. I completed 2 cycles of the xeloda (taking pills is a nice break from IV treatment). I had a bunch of side effects at the end of the cycle, but one method they can do is decrease the dosage to adjust things.

I hope it goes well for you...

Shell

Anna
08-12-2005, 10:30 AM
You will have to see how it works for you.
It has little side-effects but its kind of hard on the stomach,
I've been taking it for over a year.

jojo
08-12-2005, 12:17 PM
Shell -- Have you found out whether Herceptin can succeed on you, along with chemos? Herceptin alone is not effective for some of us...

And are you still continuing on Herceptin while taking Xeloda?

jojo
08-12-2005, 12:19 PM
Kirsten -- are you going to start on a new chemo, based on the latest results of your tumor markers alone?? Are you going to have a scan test for further confirmation?? I guess that tumor markers are reliable in your case, huh?? Good luck & keep us posted.

kirsten in NY
08-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Thanks for your responses. Yes- I had a repeat CT and Bone Scan on July 28th to see if the disease progressed, which it had. That's why they took me off Arimidex and put me on Xeloda/Herceptin.

Shell
08-15-2005, 05:01 AM
Jojo-

I had herceptin first w/ navelbine (after my initial treatment of neo-adjuvant cytoxin/epirubicin/taxotere, lumpectomy, SNB (negative), 2 more rounds of CET and then radiation). 1st reoccurrence was within 4 months after herceptin/navelbine. Had axilla dissection, and then herceptin with taxotere - 2d reoccurrence was while on that treatment.

The clinical study for lapatinib that I am on seems designed for those of us who have failed herceptin (or for whom herceptin has failed us...), and so, I am not on herceptin as part of the study. There are 2 arms to the study - one with xeloda alone and the other with xeloda/lapatinib.

Regards,
Shell

jojo
08-15-2005, 03:40 PM
Hey Shell, I am atually not very familiar with the Lapatinib trial, but I thought that it was accessible to people with no mets (except brain nets).... Did I get it all wrong? Where is your Lapatinib trial located at: NCI or your cancer center or teaching hospital, etc?

Shell
08-17-2005, 05:51 AM
Jojo-

There are various trials going on for Lapatinib. Mine involves xeloda with or without lapatinib. Go to www.clinicaltrials.gov, type in lapatinib, and you'll see all that is going on...

Regards,
Shell