PDA

View Full Version : My questions

KimNC
07-27-2005, 01:32 PM
Sorry about my last post. My kids ( 4yr old twins) like to type and they cut me short. My questions are.........Has anyone skipped a weekly Herceptin because they have been out of town? also .....Has anyone had surgery while on Herceptin and if so have any treatments been skipped? Thank you for taking time to read my questions and I appreciate any response. KimNC

*_sally_*
07-27-2005, 04:50 PM
Yes, I had an oopherectomy while on Herceptin. I never miss a treatment . Mine are every three weeks. I don't think it is any big deal if you miss one treatment. I think the drugs stays with you longer than the week. Sally

sassy
07-27-2005, 05:00 PM
kim,

I am getting treatment at Wake Forrest, and my onc really discouraged me from skipping a weekly treatment. I'm getting taxol and herceptin. We changed our vacation, spent the night in Winston so I could get my regular treatment on FRiday. Perhaps you could change the day to earlier or later to avoid skipping.

Sassy

Becky
07-27-2005, 07:23 PM
I was told it was ok to get treatment a day early or a day late but not to skip.

I have gone a day early once for vacation and plan to do so again around the holidays.

Becky

KimNC
07-28-2005, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the responses. I am planning to return mid week for my Herceptin. It is only a 4 hour drive from beach to Dr. so it won't be too big of a deal. My parents will be with us so my kids wont need to leave vacation. My best to all. KimNC

Jan
07-30-2005, 01:06 PM
I have had minor surgery with anethesia while on herceptin no problem. Had weekly hercep. never skipped.

Barbara
08-01-2005, 05:35 PM
KIMNC:

I had my gallbladder removed the end of July while on Herceptin and had no complications. In fact, I recovered faster then expected. My gallbaldder had developed problems with ejecting bile causing me to be quite sick at times. This type of gallbladder failure often follows a serious illness and I was hospitalized when on Taxol and was quite ill.

Barbara

Gina
08-11-2005, 12:10 AM
Will just add my two cents worth... First, I always encourage folks taking Herceptin to FORCE their oncs to measure their CA 27/29 and Serum Her-2 levels on a REGULAR basis. In this day and age, there is no need to guess and NO NEED TO OVER-medicate...which I think happens a LOT to us with Her-2 on Herceptin. Again, I am not an onc and this is just my take on it, but I have been using Herceptin ALONE (plus diet) off and on since 1999. There were many years when I only took 5 doses a year. I experimented a lot and finally got my onc to agree to a dosing once every 6 weeks. Naturally, this is NOT possible for everyone...but if you know your body, your markers and scan once in a while..., it can be done. Personally, I think skipping one week is NOT critical and can even be beneficial. Even though Herceptin is NOT as difficult as taking more traditional forms of chemo, it can still wear you down. At times in the past, I have tried the weekly thing, and found it VERY tiring. I like what I am doing now, but most oncs wont let you go longer than once every 3 weeks as that is the only "PROVEN" protocol...but some bold folks take it differently. I was DX with serious stage 3, then 4 8 years ago...still here...smile...Hope this is helpful...Gina