PDA

View Full Version : Weekly or Every Three Week Herceptin Therapy

Becky
06-13-2005, 06:53 PM
I am in the 6 month window (at 4 months post chemo now) to receive Herceptin. I can go to my regular oncologist (who was relucant to give it to me until their affliate, Fox Chase made it protocol to offer to those of us in the window) who will use the weekly protocol. Sloan Kettering will also give it to me but they are using the three week protocol (but you receive much more drug).

Does anyone know the pros or cons of the 2 regimens? Is one more heart safe or more side effect free? Is one more effective than the other? Both will go on for about one year.

Does anyone know the reduction of recurrence rate (as that published in the study is in conjunction with Taxol and this is Herceptin alone).

Thank you in advance and best regards,

Becky

Sandy H.
06-13-2005, 07:01 PM
I get it weekly. My oncologist feels its easier on the body to get it as single dose weekly then triple dose every 3 weeks. I believe that is only his feeling. He did tell me if travel was a problem he would do it every 3 weeks. I have talked to people that get it every 3 weeks and they feel tired for a couple of days following the infusion but then they are find after that. It probably can be your choice-good luick, hugs, Sandy

madubois63
06-13-2005, 09:08 PM
As I am currently getting weekly herceptin and chemo three weeks out of the month (along with daily Femara). We did discuss tripling the dose of everything and just coming in once every three weeks. I refused to triple the chemo - I just don't want to be knocked down any further if I don't have too. If we stop the chemo (which is what I am praying for), then I will take the triple does Herceptin and get back to work (I think that is a good thing). If I don't like the way I feel, I will change it. That's my plan this week. If and when it happens - we shall see.....
..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
((¸¸.·´ ¸.·´ -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.Maryann -:¦:-´´

*_Cathy_*
06-14-2005, 04:45 AM
Hi Becky- I get herceptin weekly and I am doing fine with it. Praise the Lord. I don't think I would want to get it all at once.It seems like a lot of drug would be going into you at once if they triple the dose. God Bless- Cathy

Bonnie
06-14-2005, 09:14 AM
I got Herceptin weekly during the time I was receiving chemo, 6x every three weeks, and after that was switched to every three weeks, for a total of a year. There were no side effects for me and wasn't even tired after the infusion once I stopped receiving the benedryl with the Herceptin.

I'm glad they allowed you to take it.

Bonnie

Becky
06-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Thanks so much for the replies. For those of you on the once a week routine, can you ever change the day to one day forward or behind and then go back to your original day?

I could see it happen once where I would want to go on Thursday instead of Friday but I want to stick with Friday as my normal date.

Thanks in advance,

Becky