PDA

View Full Version : Herceptin for a Needle Phobic

Christine MH
06-09-2005, 02:38 PM
I have developed an incredible fear of needles as a result of the problems I had during chemo. Now that I am down to get herceptin to help prevent secondaries, I was wondering if anyone had advice the best method for getting it for someone who really doesn't like needles. I have never had a port and my oncologist doesn't generally like them, but I can't imagine a year of needles.

Also, do MUGA scans involve needles? I read up on CT scans and somehow missed that needles were involved, so I was unpleasantly surprised when I had a CT scan today.

Take care,

Christine

StephN
06-09-2005, 03:09 PM
Yes, MUGA scans involve a needle. They put in an access needle so they only stick you one time. But, they have to take some blood to mix in a little vial with something that they then "cure." After a few minutes they reinject that blood mix so that they can see your blood as it circulates through your heart. It did not hurt - I promise!

No matter what your onc says - get a port! They will save the veins in your good arm for later draws or injections for scans. The port is not difficult to install and will save you a lot of sticks in your veins. You will not be sorry. You get some cream to numb the area over the port site and do not even feel when the needle goes in for your blood draw and infusion. They stick you one time each clinic visit and that is it.

Try to breathe out the fear of your needles. Easier said than done, but try to practice that relaxation and see if it helps.

AlaskaAngel
06-09-2005, 03:13 PM
I'd recommend a port. I'm not at all needle-phobic but with as many pokes as you are going to have it simply makes good sense. I originally got mine because I support myself by my work on the computer and couldn't take the risk of having something as toxic as Adriamycin possibly infiltrate and put me out of a job.

I still have my port for quarterly draws for a clinical trial I am still in. Throughout chemo I had many labs drawn without using the port since most labs here do not have personnel trained in using the Port-a-cath. With so many pokes over time, they generally have to use a butterfly catheter because it is so difficult to get in now, and I have relatively good veins compared to most people. Often they have to try several times with the needles.

A needle is still used for getting into the Port-a-cath as well, but nurses always ask me if I want it numbed first.

Keep us posted on your progress --

Best wishes,

A.A.

jojo
06-09-2005, 04:50 PM
Hi Christine,

Like you, I have a slight phobia of needles. I have generally a low blood pressure and the weak tummy runs in the family (at the sight of blood, I mean).

FYI: I am a strong fan of the port! Talk about convenience! The numbing cream certainly HELPS! I stopped using it, though, after my original chemo regimen was exhausted. I have been holding the port for 2 years now. It is almost being like a sidekick to me! :-)

Like everyone else says, do get a port!!! Good luck ~ JO.

PS: They could alternatively monitor your heart by an echocardiagram, and the echo does not require a needle injection -- thank God! I get an echo every 3 months.

Lisa
06-09-2005, 07:19 PM
A port really is the only way to go. I can't imagine NOT having one and your onc not recommending it since some of the chemo drugs can kill the skin if touched.

You'll have enough needles to deal with just doing the blood tests. Ports are a breeze. You CAN get past this. Why? Because you have to.

Love and light,

Lisa

*_tami_*
06-09-2005, 08:11 PM
I hate needles too. I have little veins and so I have experienced lots of pokes just trying to "find" the vein. As a result I got a port before chemo. Getting the port was an outpatient "procedure". It felt like a surgery to me - in the operating room, almost knocked out but awake enough to hear the whole procedure, etc. I was really glad that it was a quick procedure - less than an hour from start to finish I think. However the poke is still a poke and taking a deep breath seems to help along with the numbing spray. The biggest benefit of the port is that they never need to find the vein - one poke and they are always in. I have had it 13 months and have had no issues with it.

Best,
Tami

joy
06-11-2005, 06:17 AM
Hi Christine, I am also a fan of the port and i have no issues with needles and I have big veins. But my other thought is consulting a Clinical counseling hypnotherapist and one who is a member of the International Medical and Dental Associaltion of Hypnotists (that is more or less the name). These people are wonderful at empowering people to feel less stress or trauma over medical procedures. It can really help to "reset" our thinking about fears/anxieties, etc.

i have used Hypnotherapy in a counseling setting and and feel like it has really helped me and the disease.

Just a thought. Good luck and keep us posted.
Love, Joy