PDA

View Full Version : Taxol and Herceptin

msmart
06-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Help with my decision...
Had 4 months AC then Lumpectomy. Margins and nodes completely clean. Onc says tumor contained live cancer cells - wants to do Taxol and Herceptin (12 wks and 1 yr, resp) then rad and HT. Has anyone had this for cancer cells you're not sure exist?
Help!!

Bonnie
06-06-2005, 11:04 AM
Yes, I have. I had a 3.8 cm. tumor removed, clean margins and no node involvement. I had 6 treatments of taxatere and carboplatin and a year's worth of herceptin, then radiation with 5 boosts to the specific tumor site at the end, even though no one was sure there were any cancer cells left. I was treated agressively because there is always the potential the cells might be lurking about somewhere. I was willing to undergo the treatment rather than always wondering if I should have. Just my thoughts.

Bonnie

*_msmart_*
06-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Thank you, Bonnie. How was the Taxol/Herceptin? Any permanent neuropathy?

Bonnie
06-06-2005, 11:27 AM
I never had any nausea, just tired and took naps. As far as neuropathy, yes, unfortunately, I still have some in the tips of my fingers and quite a bit in my feet. It happened gradually and it was the last treatment that really did it to my feet. It's been a little over a year since I had my last treatment of taxotere/carboplatin and I'm still hoping my feet will get better. Overall, though, I'd do it all again. The treatment wasn't that hard on me and I certainly wanted to do everything I could to keep the beast a bay.

Bonnie

Bonnie
06-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Oh, I forgot the Herceptin. That was a breeze and never had one problem with it at all.

Bonnie

joy
06-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Hi, I just wanted to share something too. Remember, though, that we can only speak from our own experience. I was diagnosed as a stage 1 in 2000. 2.4cms, no nodes, clean margins (her2 dx was missed and if it had been detected at that time I wouldn't have been able to do anything about it) and er/pr+. I did lumpectomey, A/C and rads followed by tamoxifen. By 2002 I was diagnosed as stage IV with extensive liver invovlvement and a little lung involvement. If I were standing in your shoes, having had MY experience I would do taxol and herceptin. I ended up doing a year of xeloda, taxotere and added herceptin after we retested the tissue. I still do the herceptin (easy breezy) and am lucky enough to be able to manipulate the hormones. I also share this as someone who was quite an "earth-mama" prior to cancer. I had said if I ever got cancer I'd never do chemo. Well, after you have a couple of children and then get cancer, a lot of my old ideas flew out the window. I still do all of my complementary care, but I have been humbled by the medical community and I know I am here because of it.

But you do have to make the decisions that fit for YOU. And it is still a great thing that you have clean margins and no nodes and that we can now treat the her2 situation. Best of luck, keep us posted and know that this group of people is amazing at sharing fabulous information.

Love, Joy

msmart
06-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Thanks so much, Joy. Did you have any nerve damage (permanent) to your fingers or toes? Also, how did the Taxol treatment compare to the AC? Please say it's not as bad.

*_tami_*
06-06-2005, 09:54 PM
I had lumpectomy, 4 ac and then did taxotere and hercpetin (12 weeks and 1 year) I will be done with hercpetin this August. Lump was 1.4 cm, had 1 micromet to the sentinal node, other nodes negative and er/pr- and her2+++. I had 35 radiation treatments. I remember being relieved at how much easier the taxotere was compared to the AC. I didn't need nearly as many anti-nauseous meds and felt clearer mentally. My onc uses taxotere instead of taxol partly because the incidence of neuropathy is less. I did not experience any numbness and was absolutely stunned when my hair started to grow back while still getting the taxotere.

With the recent findings I am very relieved that I pushed for the herceptin. I don't know how any of this will play out but I just didn't want any regrets. With the minor inconvenience of IV's every 3 weeks and muga's every 3 months the herceptin is a piece of cake.

Good luck with your decisions and I am so glad you have the AC behind you.

Best
Tami

joy
06-07-2005, 05:29 AM
Hi, I did taxotere, which, although related, is different. But i did a year of it and had very few side effects and have no permanent effects that I can tell. Taxol, from what I understand, and I work with cancer patients, is not like A/C. A/C is wicked for many with the nausea and indescribable ickiness and Taxol is at least DIFFERENT. Less GI stuff and more fatigue and tingly stuff. In my breast cancer job I see many women through the A/C/Taxol protocol and on average they do quite well. Supportive therapies such as solid nutrition, acupuncture, healing touch, etc. make a difference. I definitely feel, from my own experience and that of others thst the taxanes are better then the ol' A/C.
you have our support and keep us posted msmart!
Love, Joy

06-07-2005, 06:31 AM
Hello there-my experience is similar.

I had 2.2 tumour, no nodes but Her2/neu. positive.

The way my oncologist explained it was that despite a good outcome with surgery etc, there could still be some rogue cells lurking around, which needed demolishing! Hence the AC x4, taxotere x 4 and I had a year of Herceptin on the BCIRG 006 trial. I really wanted to make sure I got everything that was going!

Taxotere was more tiring than AC but manageable. I worked on maintaining a good diet, did acupuncture, yoga and meditation (still do) and felt that at least I was playing a part in my own well being and I got thru it OK. Like Tami I was also surprised that my hair started growing back before I finished the Taxotere which was quite a boost! Haven't had any problems with neuropathy either. And the worst I've had with Herceptin has been a runny nose!

Whatever choices you make will be the right ones for you! Good luck!!

Happy days

Pauline

msmart
06-07-2005, 07:09 AM
Thank you all so much for the info. One more question... I was under the impression that Taxol was easier with less chance of neuropathy than Taxotere. The last two posts seem to indicate otherwise.
What is the concensus?

mts
06-08-2005, 06:51 AM
I had dose dense chemo (sounds like you are going through it too). For me, the Taxol was EASY. The first infusion gave me some achey muscles (like I had worked out the day before). But after that, the next 3 were nothing compared to the AC. I only felt a little tired and constipated. I had slight tingling in my pinkies, but that went away...

You will do fine. You have come far... stay optimistic

mts

*_Vicki Z_*
06-08-2005, 10:06 AM
Hey Earth-Mama, Joy, how did they detect your liver and lung mets since you began this journey as node neg.? Thanks, Vicki