PDA

View Full Version : Neurontin 300mg

Lyn
06-06-2005, 06:43 AM
Hi all, anyone on Neurontin 300mg? If so have you had any results and how low before you did get results.

I have been put on it because I may have inflammation in my neck which is pressing on a nerve making my neck and shoulder numb.

Love & Hugs Lyn

Fontaine
06-06-2005, 11:47 PM
I think that's what I'm on although mine is a generic so the name is different. It's purpose is to "calm" peripheral nerves that can cause neuropathy, including the symptoms you described.

I've only been on it a few weeks but haven't noticed any appreciable results. I did tell my neurologist that I'd be starting chemo soon and he said it wouldn't have any negative interactions with it.

I'm taking for fibromyalgia--at least that's what has been diagnosed. Are you, per chance, ADD or ADHD? If so, I found an interesting link between the two. I've also noticed that many women who've had chemotherapy have developed various types of musculoskeletal pain. Since I'm currently studying psychoneurology, this is one I'm trying to track down to at least forumulate some hypothises I can devil my doctors with!

Lyn
06-07-2005, 03:12 AM
Hi Fontaine, that is about all I don't have, some days I wish I did, I just can't get going. I also have fribromyalgia and this was treated with the old antidepressant Prothieden (Dopthep) I usually take 25mg at night and it worked straight away for me, mine came on with sleep deprivation so it is supposed to help with all the aches and pains but lately not much helps but I do sleep well. Anti-depressants are recommend to be taken when having chemo, something about helping the drugs get around the system, I did know but my brain is mush lately.

Love & Hugs.

Fontaine
06-07-2005, 11:17 AM
I wish I had some ideas for you Lynn, but nothing's popping up right now other than this. It may seem kooky but it can't hurt and might help.

Since I'm taking an alternative med class and focusing on alt med treatments for breast cancer (both my little dog Annie and I have it), I've discovered some alternative stuff that's been found to be effective. In particular, I'd recommend a book, "Breast Cancer: Beyond Convention" edited by Mary Tagliaferri and Debu Tripathy (physicians) and Isaac Cohen (an osteopath). It's a collection of articles. The book cover says "The world's foremost authorities on complementary and alternative medicine offer advice on healing." The list includes Dean Ornish, Susan Love, and Jon Kabat-Zinn (meditation).

I've created a visualization that I use with Annie. I have no idea if it's really done any good but she's doing better than I'd have expected. In this visualization, a fluffy white bunny named Humphrey Egbert (bought a stand-in stuffed bunny for a physical representation) lies next to her and pulls out her cancer then takes it to a factory staffed by other magic bunnies who use their magic to turn it into healthy, loving things including love, fertilizer, and magical medicine. Annie understands most of what I say to her, snuggles w/ her Humphrey Egbert stand-in and listens when I tell her the story.

Who knows if this really does any good but there's enough actual research--both empirical and anecdotal to indicate that it just might. Plus, it's fun!

In your case, I'd recommend creating a visualization of some agent (I can check to see if Humphrey Egbert is available--hee hee) that helps heal your neck and make it fun enough that you enjoy speinding time with it and smile when during it. Like I said, it can't hurt and might actually help. Smiling, in and of itself, has healing properties (release of "good" neutransmitters released and their impact on the immune system).

Take good care of yourself, lady!

StephN
06-07-2005, 11:45 AM
Hi - I have used Neurontin a couple of times during my treatments - notably the first go round with Taxotere, which gave me terrible aches and pains. The neurontin worked well for me and made life tolerable those 3 months and then again when I was on Taxol and Navelbine for months on end. I found good benefit from this med, and recommend it to others suffering with chemo pains.

Interestingly, I happened to meet Isaac Cohen at San Antonio last Dec. There was a table of medical books across from our HER2support booth and I wandered over to take a look. I picked up a different book on herbal remedies and noticed a man watching me. I asked whether he had an opinion on the merits of this book and he GAVE me his opinion. Then introduced himself as the co-author of another book focusing on altermative med. AND I had met Debu Tripathy just that morning at a patient advocate session, and had another chance to speak with Tripathy the next day and mentioned hearing about that book from his co-author. He had been careful not to mention his book at the sessions, but did answer a question posed about some alternative ways to supplement the beneficial effects of chemo. These men are SO approachable and down to earth!

Fontaine - please talk about the link with ADD and ADHD to cancer or these pains. I am lost ... ;)

Monica
06-09-2005, 05:27 PM
I've used neurontin for neuropathy pain and it was incredibly helpful in alleviating my pain. I've talked to my doctor and pharmacist, and they both say it's very important you take at least 900 mg a day. That's the minimum effective dosage, so I took it 300 mg three times a day.

Best,
Monica